Find
Notify
Tools

Shortened '03 Springfield
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Siam_Krag
posted
All right after reading several posts on this forum about re-heat treating 03 springfield receivers. I have a question about the safety of a rifle that my father picked up at a gun show a few years back. It is a shortened Springfield action (shortened to about the same length as a Mexican 1910 Mauser) in .257 Roberts. It was probably done around the late 40's early 50's due to the Leupold scope no bell on either end 4x by a gunsmith in Los Angles named Chevelle I believe. The serial number is a four digit number, not knowing if the gunsmith put a new number on it lets assume it is a low number 03.

I am therefore concerned if it is a low number '03 and has been shortened and re-heat treated it could possibly be un-safe?? The smith that did it was pretty good as it is a quite good work. Just would like to hear some opinions on what people think about the safety?

Posts: 169 | Location: Santa Cruz, California | Registered: 11 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like an interesting rifle could we see pictures? I would like to see pictures of the serial number. I don't know anything about your rifle but low-numbered Springfields were re-heat treated by Springfield, Sedgley and others without problems.

Posts: 808 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Yes please post some photos.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It sounds like a nice rifle. For the record, there is no cure for a burnt M1903 Springfield receiver. The gunsmith probably got a good look at the internal steel on the rails where it was cut before he welded it back up. That is no guarantee that the steel on the receiver ring isn't bad but a pretty good indicator. I wouldn't be afraid to shoot that one if it was mine, based on those assumptions.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Siam_Krag
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies. I am meeting my dad for the opening of deer season this weekend. I will take some pictures and post them when I get back.

Posts: 169 | Location: Santa Cruz, California | Registered: 11 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Siam_Krag
posted Hide Post
Well I was unable to get pictures of the rifle. As my dad knocked the front sight off and took it in to have it re-soldered on.

Michael, my father say's he sent you pictures of this rifle and other Springfield's of his a few years back.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i had a shortened one just like you describe some years back. beautiful job of gunsmithing. problem was that the only thing it would shoot was 90 gr sierras. it shot them into an inch or so, any other bullet it sort of patterned. the action, follower floorplate, even the spring was cut and welded. only the bolt was not, it was cut and pined back together.

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote