New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bedding kits.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm going to be bedding a McMillan Moutain Rifle KS stock for my Rem 700 and I'd like input on what kit I should purchase. Pillar or no? What brand? I've been browsing Brownell's. Is that the best place to go for something like that?

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nebraska:
I'm going to be bedding a McMillan Moutain Rifle KS stock for my Rem 700 and I'd like input on what kit I should purchase. Pillar or no? What brand? I've been browsing Brownell's. Is that the best place to go for something like that?

It's hard to beat Brownells for gunsmithing items and they are GOOD people....I like pillars and use the solid /non adjustable ones and file/machine them to get 100%contact with the flat and radius of the trigger guard and action....I have used the Accuraglass with the hardeners when necessary with good results....make sure the trigger guard screws are lubed when torque is applied as the guard is Alum? and will gall if too tight.....45-55INCH lbs seems to work well......skim bedd the top and bottom of the pillars if the contact isn't 100%.....I haven't done a McMillian but have done others and it worked well and is usually worth the effort....good luck and good shooting!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
In reguards to the pillars. Try McMaster-Carr Supply (www.mcmaster.com). They have unthreaded round spaces that make great pillars. You can order steel, stainless steel or aluminum. Go to page 3000 in the catalog or search for page 3000. The cost is reasonable and the delivery is to your door in 1 or 2 days. They can be had in 3/16 O.D. to 1.5 O.D. and with #2 through 3/8 I.D. and length up to 1.5 inches.

Posts: 7 | Location: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: 28 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
get the steel bed kit for like 24 bucks, and FOLLOW the instructions.. dont bother with the pillars, unless the rifle wont shoot.

fast, easy, and fun
jeffe

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've heard that eliminating the middle screw on the ADLs is the way to go. Would this change the 'no pillars' recommendation? Also, is it simple to put in pillars after the bedding job is complete if the rifle doesn't shoot? This will be my first time doing this so I want to keep the job as simple as possible but at the same time, I want this rifle to be a real "shooter".

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Celt>
posted
Pillar it from the git go. No use in doing it half way.
Even a McMillan stock should have aluminum or steel pillars in it.

Celt