New
Find
Notify
Tools

enfield to 500 jeffe -ry
 Login/Join

Picture of jeffeosso
posted
I am thinking it'll be a pretty much piece of cake, but haven't done one this big (yeah, I know it's short)

It's an eddystone, sn 112xxxx, in great condition, I already did the work to "mod 30" it.. looks pretty nice..

any thoughts about taking it to 500 jeffe-ry?

I am thinking 22.5 inch barrel, necg sights, 10.5#, Well, I broke down an ordered fancy english walnut, but not hi grade...

jeffe

[ 11-26-2002, 22:09: Message edited by: jeffeosso ]

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe,

I have vacillated with this idea for some time. I had trouble finding anyone willing to do the work, very few gunsmiths like going bigger than H&H belted mags in Enfields. They say it often won't feed well. So for now, one is going to become a 458 Lott, and I'll hang onto the other "just in case."

Someone here, SamB maybe, has a nice looking 500 A-square built on an Enfield, the only one I've ever seen with the pot-belly magazine that looked good.

Please post your progress if you find anything different than me. The best source I found for a long chambered barrel was Pac-Nor (about $225), and PME makes Oberndorf style bottom metal, sized to fit 416 Rigby and 505 Gibbs, about $400. Both are similar in dimensions to their 500 J box for Mauser 98. They also have proper followers.

BTW, the 270/308 AI barrel turned out to be a hell of a deal, in very nice shape -- dies too. Thanks again for load data.

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You gonna do everything yourself jeffe? Why would you want a 500 Jeffery? It's severely rebated rim could cause some problems and brass is not readily available. It has a lot of class though.

I am also having a 50-caliber in the work beside the Ninja. It is basically a 500 A-Square with a longer neck and a different shoulder angle. This catridge may well end up with a P-14 action. Have fun and good luck with your project.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Mingo, Todd,
Thanks for the encouragement...

I am going to do it myself... I think it'll be a nice spring project, after I order the barrel... It's an UGLY sportered stock.. but I did nice work on the metal, it nearly looks like a rem 30.

The reason for the jeffe-ry... it would be an amusing round to me, namesake and nostalgia.. and I didn't want to do a gibbs 510/505, as I want to shoot .510 bullets, (cheap milsurp blasting) and I have the enfield. I also want to get away from the pressure of like a wells or a2... i am going to "sissy" load it to about 2200/2300 with a shorter barrel

Todd, the enfield will do just about anything... ray vincent's 585 is built off a p-14... It's plenty of room for a gibbs, and I am more worried about bolt thrust that pressure...

Glad the barrel worked out for you, todd

thinking of a 1/18 twist, for 600 grainers...

jeffe

[ 11-26-2002, 07:50: Message edited by: jeffeosso ]

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
<KBGuns>
posted
Besides the fact that its big and classic, I guess the primary reason to be the name, ".500 Jeffery". [Big Grin]

Kristofer

edit; damnit Jeffe, you replyed while I was a typing... [Frown]

[ 11-26-2002, 07:53: Message edited by: KBGuns ]

<KBGuns>
posted
Jeffe, assuming its a good action(dont know about enfields myself) I would build it. The name is just too good to pass on. Every one needs a 510 something to launce surplus pills, right? Plus, I dont remeber any one else here having a 500 Jeffery. Tho I am shure 500AHR will tell you all about his as soon as he sees this post. [Big Grin]

Kristofer

[ 11-26-2002, 08:01: Message edited by: KBGuns ]

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Jeffe,

2200-2300 isn't a sissy load...trust me on that one... [Smile]

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw one of these at the last gun show a late model .500 Jeffery made by Jeffery on an Enfield action...

The barrel was massive and relatively short- 21"??? Stock was very dark plain grained and perfectly fitted. It was so well shaped, the rifle seemed light and handy more like a .30-06 and made me want to take the #50 rasp to some of my own stocks...

Naturally, the metalwork was perfect- not D&T'd just express sights- few people could recognise the action- a lot of work in that one...

Price $6500 negotiable. You have a worthwhile project on your hands...

Posts: 360 | Location: PA | Registered: 29 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gents,
I have a 'smith that is/has done plenty of Enfield work and isn't shying away from my current project,,a 500A2 on an Enfield of course.
I just recieved my 35 Whelen saturday on a Rem 34 action,,,basically a model 17,,,I already had a 375 Taylor from him,a 458 x 2,a 416 Rem as well as an unaltered p-14 and 2 more -17's in -06. I can only be very proud of my little collection so far,,and when my 500 gets done I will feel complete [Wink] I guess I am biased [Razz] I always like heft when I shoulder a rifle. 'Specially when somethin' like my 416 needs firin'. I have a 1886 Winchester that needs range time soon so I need to sign off and load up some 38-56's...Have at it Jeffe' you and only you can decide what deserves a place in your home. 45nut

Posts: 538 | Location: elsewhere | Registered: 07 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A gunsmith friend of mine has a 500 Jeffery, his is a takedown he built on what action I can't remember. It's a bitchin rifle and cartridge combo.

PS. He always says to squint your eyes when shooting it, says you could end up with detatched retnas. [Eek!] True or BS?

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brent,

Rentinal detachment I could buy, if you're predisposed to it. Squinting for protection is BS.

Todd

45Nut:
Please e-mail me, if you don't mind, some info on that smith and what his charges are like.

Thanks,
Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
That's just what John Ricks has been building for me. Mine's using a Douglas 1-15 tube 25" long, with a Ruger #1 barrel band front sight base and sling swivel swiped off a #1 458 tube. My goal is a finished weight of ~11#'s, I'm not going to build something unshootable. The chamber is being long throated to allow use of mil surp 50 bmg pills for single shot action.

I'll be doing the magazene work, so can't comment on how difficult it is to make it feed. I should be getting the barreled action shortly, can't wait.

All the reasons you cite for the 500 are good reasons to build one, same reasons I'm building mine. CH4D has dies for $130, brass is a bit of a problem, but nothing that can't be solved with patience and $.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A-Square used a 1:10 twist for both the 500 jeff and 500 A-Square.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote