New
Find
Notify
Tools

model 54 Winchester questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can a model 54 Winchester flag safety be changed to operate like a Springfield or Mauser? Or will a model 70 safety and shroud fit?

Posts: 123 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 12 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a Buehler safety for the M54 Winchester, but they are hard to find nowadays.

You can Fit a M70 shroud with some work. The shroud fits just fine; you have to work on the striker is all.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you, I appreciate the information

one of us
posted Hide Post
First, there are two different M54 bolts.
And three different firing pins

The old slow lock bolt is an copy of the 1903 Springfield cocking cam.

The Speed lock, about 1932, is like the M70 cocking cam.

PME copies Old Beuhler safety are available.

A Springfield sleeve can not be fitted as the thread timing is off 1/2 turn.

A pre 64 M70 sleeve can be fitted. BUT, a lot of work is needed on the firing pin to fit a M70 sleeve.

Ed LaPour makes new 3 position M70 sleeves just for the M54, as well as a new firing pin.

J Wisner

Posts: 1484 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you, mine is the first version. It is odd that Winchester would make the safety work opposite of the Springfield 1903. It almost cost me a nice bear when I pushed the flag left instead of right.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I got a couple copies of the Beuhlers; one to use and one just in case I find another 54. My current 54 now ears one of these safeties, Model 70 bottom metal, a mauser bolt stop, and a new barrel in 256 Newton. It's shaping up to be an ok rifle. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3784 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well there you go. I learned something today. I have always read of Win 54's with two piece firing pins and wondered what they were; or more specifically where are the two parts??? Ever one I ever saw was similar to a Win 70.

I swear it is easier to build a mauser than a M54 Win! Safeties, Triggers, Bolt stops...M54's are so crude. There are three of them in gun shops near me @ $695 each...never gonna happen!

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Airgun1

It took me years to find a first year production M54 that had not been messed with.

First thing I did when I got home was tear it apart, and ??????

Yes it had the much talked about two piece firing pin. Dang if it was nothing more than a 1903 striker tip and retainer, on a modified M54 rear section.

I never did find out how many they made that way, but I suspect not many and then with the retro fits the factory did for years makes it even harder to find an unaltered M54.

But the speed lock change of 1932 made even more parts different, the firing pin, bolt, sear, then they changed the sleeve by adding a spring to keep the safety lever from shaking around.

They had all ready changed the extractor in 1929 if I recall.

It was all good, as look at what came of all these improvements, the M70.

The last of the PME copies of the Buehler safety for the M54, are still around if any one needs one let me know and I will forward a phone number for the person who has them.

J Wisner

Posts: 1484 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
While on the subject of M54's, I have a concern to pass by the experts on here. I had a custom one with a M70 syle safety/shroud and a Timney (black body) trigger and sold it because I could not remove the bolt by depressing the trigger. Does this sound like an issue that could have been easily rectified? Thanks. CB

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5239 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will bet that someone inserted a longer set screw into one of the receiver sight holes as a bolt stop. The bolt of a M54 will pull right out if you have a Timney installed.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
The screw holes on the side at the rear? There is a notch in the wood there at the rearward hole.

Posts: 5239 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those are the ones that I am referring to.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well lookee here! Both of the M54's in my friends shop have two piece firing pins. The 30-06 is a low 4 digit serial number and completely untouched; the 270 is a 5 digit serial with an "A" suffix and it is unmolested as well, but it has been reblued and the stock refinished.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I'll try and contact the guy who bought it. Thanks for the heads up.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airgun1:
...M54's are so crude. There are three of them in gun shops near me @ $695 each...never gonna happen!

they may be crude, but it'd take a wad of Benjamins to make me let go of my 54 in .30 WCF. Shoots, great, feeds flawlessly, just a really fun, easy to shoot rifle.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I never noticed the 54 was crude, most show excellent workmanship..the bottom metal is crude however, but it works fine for a hunting rifle, so did the Rem 721 and 722, those were the guns of the day at one time..

BTW I have an as new factory blued pre 64 mod. 70 safety complete with housing etc. for sale in the classified if you decide to go that route. The are extremely hard to find.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The triggers are pretty crude in design and function, the bolt stop is also a crude design, and as said the bottom metal. The craftsmanship is just fine. I only ever owned one, a fully engraved 250-3000 that I traded an M1922 Springfield for even up. I traded the M54 for a pre 64 Hornet even up.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't forget that you can use a springfield striker firing pin on the model 54. Do not know if this applies to the speedlocked versions. Frank