New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 788 trigger tab help
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone know a gunsmith willing to tackle the trigger tab on a 788. 222 if it helps
I dropped it, and it popped off. In all honesty I tried to find a tig welder to tack it back on. Lets just say it didnt work, and the tab is gone.
I need a tab fabricated, installed to fit a timney trigger, or original. I cannot get a gunsmith in my area to call back. I am willing to send it off.

Posts: 188 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 31 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Not sure what a trigger tab is, but my recommendation is to bite the bullet, and get a Timney. Welding on triggers is usually not a good thing.

Posts: 17292 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What are you going to attach the timney to??????????????????????????????????
How about the TRIGGER TAB...That I need, and asked for.

Posts: 188 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 31 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just looked at this schematic:

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/g...ngton/rifles-rem/788

Nowhere do I see a "TRIGGER TAB" illustrated or listed.

?????????????????????????????????

Posts: 798 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Rem 788 receiver has two projections/tabs/studs on the rear lower section.
They are projection/spot welded on if I recall.

The smaller rectangle one for the trigger unit is .150' wide x .220' long and hangs down .235", the 3/32 hole cross wise in it, is for the cross pin in the trigger housing to hold the trigger in place. Then a tension screw is in front of that so the trigger unit will pivot on the cross pin and bump the rear of the housing back by the sear

I will post a pic tomorrow

The larger long round stud is for the rear guard screw to engage

Since these were factory only installed, you will not find any part # for them or a true name for them unless so stated in the assembly manual

J Wisner

Posts: 1484 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
J. Wisner.
Thanks for actually looking it up, or knowing.
150' wide x .220' long and hangs down .235
Is the one that broke off. yes it was spot welded on both ends. It would not take much to make a new one, but I am no fabricator.
That is what I would need to have made, and spot welded back on. Its hard to find an image as it is so small, best I could do.
Thanks again

One of Us
posted Hide Post
'Trigger mounting tab' may have been better phraseology.

Posts: 1176 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a closer pic of that area showing the cross hole and shape of the tab.

Since the tab is behind the lug seats, you must watch the amount of heat used.

The best way we found to replace it, is to locate the center of the rectangle tab. Then use a # 3 center drill to spot the hole, then drill it with a # 31 drill and tap to 6 x 48
Make a new tab from either drill rod or 4140, rough the rectangle to index via the threads. Then clean and use Red loctite to hold the new tab in place. Finish the shape of the tab and cross hole.

Most of us know how hard it is to break off a # 6 screw, so the new tab will be there for a lot longer than you think.

Have over the decades worked on my share of 788's, replaced a few of these tabs, and have lost count of how many broken bolt handles, and blown bolt heads I have replaced.

LeeC, if you can not find a Good Gunsmith locally, drop me a PM and I can replace the tab, and fit up the trigger.

J Wisner

Posts: 1484 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ok, I didn't know what a "trigger tab" was. It's an assembled part of the receiver, not the trigger. I'm sure the factory nomenclature is not that.
All Mausers have the same thing, and we definitely don't call it a tab. Trigger retaining lug/stud.
I would not weld it; I would drill and tap a 10-32 hole and make one from round stock, screw it in and mill it to form. That way it would not affect the locking lug seats.
Crap, now I read what JW said; same thing. Brilliant minds think alike!

Posts: 17292 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PM sent Mr. Wisner.