New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester 100 .308 Breakdown
 Login/Join

<Bruz>
posted
Picked up a Winchester 100 pre 64 in .308 Auto and it is filthy in the action...there is only the one screw holding the trigger guard on which I unscrewed but can not remove it or get into the firing pin etal...any tricks or should I leave it to a pro?

one of us
Picture of Bob G
posted Hide Post
You have to remove the forend screw, the one holding the swivel, and the screw at the rear of the trigger guard. After that you have to pull the op rod handle all the way to the rear to be able to remove the action from the stock. Be sure not to pull the trigger after removing the rear screw or the hammer will go forward totally jamming the action. The take down of the action can be very difficult if you are not versed in the takedown of this particular action. Fairly easy after you have done a few. The gas system nut, the one with the retaining clip to keep it from unscrewing has to be removed. Then the op rod is pulled back part way to allow the removal of the cross pin holding the trigger plate in place. Be careful to control the spring and spring guide rod and it's front guide piece on the gas block. Check to see if you have the modified firing pin or the original round type. The modified firing pin is flat. There was a recall notice many years ago on this model rifle dealing with the firing pin. Possibility of accidental discharge if the firing pin broke. Good Luck.
Really best left to a Pro.

[ 03-23-2003, 06:10: Message edited by: Bob G ]

Posts: 239 | Location: North Smithfield, RI USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Bruz>
posted
Thanks Bob, I'll give it a peek...never would of thought the front swivel screw would be holding it together!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hint to 100Win owners, there is a lot of accuracy to be gained by bedding the stocks, especially around the fore end screw. It's been a long time since I have done any but I remember that 1 1/2" accuracy gains are easily possible.

[ 03-23-2003, 18:51: Message edited by: sxr6 ]

Posts: 302 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 21 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bruz
My dad used to hunt with a Win mod 100 in 308WCF. I suggest after you remove the action out of the stock you do not take it apart, just use some Hornady spray gun cleaner. It will leave a little dry lube behind.
Be sure your rifle has had the factory recall done.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bruz, strange, I just picked one up myself. It was the same with this one, filthy and gunked up. It is about 90% but had a "broken" firing pin, lol. Funny what a good cleaning can fix [Big Grin] .

It is a royal PAIN to get out of the stock, and even a little harder to get back in, where is that third hand and arm when you need it.

sxr6, looks like a tough job to bed one? I mean as the way to get the action back in to the stock and all? It does look like a mickey mouse set up for any kind of accuracy though.

Is this the only semi auto center fire rifle Winchester made, have not researched it any.
Jeff

Posts: 655 | Location: Kansas US of A | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
<jvmeus>
posted
the mod 100 is the only semi win made. yes they are a pain to get apart. the prior post is correct for dis and re assy. dont over tighten the stock screw if you do the accuracy will suffer.

<Bruz>
posted
N E 450 No2, thanks, took your advise on just removing the stock (OK, I could not find which pin took it off), just took the spring off and was able to get it all, got the bloody knickles to prove it!

had a "broken" firing pin

jsh, mine had a "broken" firing pin also! Somehow it healed itself, after 2 hours of cleaning. Acually had a live spider in it...

Thanks all, it's like a new gun now. Agree the rifle needs to be bedded, just snugged the bolts...

one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Bruz>
posted
Thanks John...wish I had that yesterday! [Wink]