New
Find
Notify
Tools

Building an accurate Mauser
 Login/Join

Picture of Paul H
posted
I think I might have a chance of finally getting a real lathe in the house, well garage, but close enough.

So, that means I'll just have to do something with the VZ-24 in the safe. I pondered different calibers, but at this point, a 300 win mag is the preferred chamber.

This isn't going to be a target rifle, but I want the most accuracy I can get out of a reliable hunting rifle. I'd first considered a Lothar Walther pre-chambered barrel, but that wouldn't give me the I did all the work myself, so I guess I'll just have to get a 30 cal blank from Pac Nor, and work it from there.

At this point I'm assuming I'll lap the lugs, true both the action face and barrel recess. For bedding, I'm planning on bedding the action and chamber, and floating the barrel. The stock will be walnut, and sealed with epoxy.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of milanuk
posted Hide Post
I've been getting a similar itch. The most recent issue of Shooting Times has an article on making a 'working man's custom gun' from a Mauser action. Also has an article on pillar bedding a Mauser action. I've been lookng around and saw that the American Gunsmithing Institute has a 4-tape video series on doing work on Mausers. Looks interesting.

HTH,

Monte

Posts: 341 | Location: Wenatchee, WA | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Paul,

Sounds like a very worthwhile project. There is no reason you shouldn't be able to build a nice .300 that is embarassingly accurate.

Depending on what you want to hunt and the choice in stocks I have a very low-cost suggestion. Go to

http://www.e-gunparts.com/DisplayAd.asp?chrProductSKU=726540&chrSuperSKU=

-
This stock is walnut and ready to go for $71.60 plus a heavy item handling charge of $1.60.

This is what another individual has done on the platform, using a VZ-24 and a Shaw barrel. He has since posted pics of his groups and they are very good indeed, in .308 Win.
 -

While the style here is obviously "target" and you wanted a "hunting rifle" it would be a matter of preference but I toss it out for your review.
I have had some correspondence with the gentleman and he has built this rifle pretty much as a "I want to see what it'll do" project, he is very pleased to say the least. Like you he had a VZ-24 laying around taking up useful space and to get it out of the way he had to build another rifle on it. [Wink]

[ 09-27-2002, 03:50: Message edited by: Roger Rothschild ]

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Roger,

I was thinking more along the lines with what I did with my 350 rigby http://www.serveroptions.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=46;t=000010

Though I'd top it with a Lupold M8 6X42, and would skip the barrelband sling swivel. I'm also thinking of doing the stock from a blank. I'm not looking for a low coin sporter, I want to build a rifle I'll be proud of, even if it takes me a few years to get it all together.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Pual,
Have attempted to send you an email with attachements, it was kicked back.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I cannot imagine not building a pure English rifle with BB sling and sights etc., considering the cartridge your chosing. It would never look finished, just cobbled....Just my call.

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oops, I misread your post, I thought you were going to build a 350...sorry

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I cannot imagine not building a pure English rifle with BB sling and sights etc.,....Just my call.

Mr Atkinson is right, indeed. I would go for a classic style rifle, they tend to have a better sencond hand value and you can show them to your friends without being embarassed [Big Grin]

Roger Rotschild,
were on earth have you found that stock [Big Grin]
The dude that designed it must been blind of wore welding glasses. Sorry [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Paul H, how ABOUT A 30-338 or 308 norma mag? Just trying to give you more options [Big Grin]
Have you thought about installing a faster spring for the fireing pin to cut the lock time a bit?
Good luck

/ JOHAN

[ 09-29-2002, 13:46: Message edited by: JOHAN ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul,

I'd consider the 8x68S -- it's European, therefore belongs in a Mauser, and non-belted, so will feed better and you'll probably get four in the standard magazine.

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Johan,

It's Belgian. The FN30-11.

<David>
posted
This started out life as a VZ-24. I finished the project about a year ago and it took about 9 months to complete.

-

It is chambered for 270 Wby. Pac-Nor super match barrel, PME 3 pos M70 style safety, and Sunny Hill bottom metal. It likes 130gr Nosler Partitions and Ballistic Tips on top of IMR7828. 140 and 150gr bullets shoot well also, just not quite as good as the 130s.