Find
Notify
Tools

Stripping and refinishing Remington stock
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Guys, I came into a mid-1960s Remington 11-48 .410 in need of TLC. The stock has the pressed checkering and Dupont bowling pin finish of the era, and I'd like to refinish with Tru-oil or some other mellower finish. Is there any particular stripper or method that works best on these Remington finishes?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16626 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best strippers for polyurethane usually have a mixture of methylene chloride and acetone.
One of those products was called Stripease. I have stripped 3 Remington stocks with it.

Definitely nasty stuff to be used in a breeze outdoors. Once finished toss your old clothes.

Methylene cloride is a carcinogen and may no longer be available.

MEK and acetone are good solvents but they do not work well alone on polyurethane.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was perusing the Brownell's catalog. They recommend and sell Certistrip and say it will remove Remington and Browning finishes. Page 433 of Cat. No. 65, $23/qt.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote