THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone recognize this shotgun stock?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any help would be appreciated. It's a pretty dense piece of wood, and it looks quite a bit better in person than under my camera flash.

Posts: 1349 | Location: South Puget Sound, WA | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a Remington 1894 stock for a gun w/an auto safety.
C grade checkering pattern,,but the gun's grade looks to have been an F if I see the grade stamp by the ser# correctly,,,ser# would place it made about 1905
,,,,that's my guess anyway..

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
The level of knowledge on these boards constantly amazes me.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree, Frank!

2152hq, I believe you know your stuff! That is an "F" at the end of the serial number.

I input your info into Google and found this:
http://tangoyankee.com/sold/11..._02/11-10-13_02.html

Looks a lot like the stock I have on the outside, and I'd bet it does on the inside as well.

I very much appreciate your response. Smiler

Posts: 1349 | Location: South Puget Sound, WA | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The checkering pattern must be what was standard on the 'Trap' guns. It looks the same or pretty close to the 'C' grade checkering.

The small flat spring secured inside the stock was what jogged my memory. It puts downward pressure on a flat bar that is the link between the safety and the bolt. When the bolt is retracted (gun opened), the bar is pushed rearward and places the safety back into the 'safe' position.

Remington used a similar small flat spring screwed directly to the wood inside the forend of the 1900 Model SxS to hold the 'J' hook tension spring outward so you can easily reassemble & snap the forend into position.

1900 was the cheaper version of the 1894.

Nice stock..