New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bedding Screw Tension, Rem 700 Sendero
 Login/Join

<Ed K>
posted
How tight should the action screws be torqued on a Rem. 700 Sendero? This one has a composite stock with an aluminum bedding block. I have heard 65 in/lbs front and back, and that is where I have it set. I have heard that this is too much, and is dangerously close to enough tension to strip the aluminum block. I haven't shot it yet at this tension. Thanks, Ed K

<MAKATAK>
posted
I have a 25-06 Sendero I torque to 35 in/lbs front and rear. I read/heard??? somewhere??? maybe McMillan's site?? or Remington that 30 to 40 IN/LBS is all you want or need. Any more could strip or crush the pieces and parts.

I just finished breaking in the barrel and took it apart to install a decent trigger. It took a good twist on the allen wrench to break the screws loose, so I wont go over 35 in/lbs on my Sendero. It hadn't shifted or loosened after 50 rounds of 100 gr bullets loaded up near max to set the brass and smooth up the tube. Three targets with varying amounts of holes each and the total spread for all three is 0.835". Not bad for no tuning on rifle or ammo using 35 year old primers and 20 year old 3100 Data powder.

one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Some time ago I contacted both Remington and Winchester and asked the same question. Remington told me 40 in/lbs both front and rear. Winchester told me "minimum 25 in/lbs both front and rear, and the middle one just tight enough to stay in". Neither gave any distinction to wood or plastic stocks.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Cardinal>
posted
You are supposed to use 65 ft/lbs on the tactical series of HS stocks, and thats what my HTR is set to. I don't see why it would be a problem on the Sendero. I know one McMillan sniper stock was tested to over 100 ft/lbs with no problems...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Better change those numbers to inch lbs cardinal unless you want to break off the screws.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I own a Sendero FS in .300 Win Mag. About screw torque, I read 65"lbs. from some forums and got 45 as an answer from Remington. I did some tests and settled on 53, after getting .3 MOA 5-shot groups and calling it good enough

------------------
Andr�

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
If you ask H-S Precision, they recommend 65 in.-lbs. of torque front & back on their stocks for the Remington 700.

I don't know what the torque is for the B&C knock-off of the H-S Precision stock (as sold by Weatherby and others).

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Doc Garnett>
posted
Since my general ignorance is well known I am not embarrassed to ask this question: What kind and make of torque wrench or driver do you use for this and where can I obtain one?
Thanks.
-- Doc

posted Hide Post
I bought my torque wrench at Sears; it's a Craftsman, and it was $55.

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Ed K>
posted
You did better than me George, mine was $69, then about $27 more for a set of hex bits.

<MAKATAK>
posted
Ed, after I posted I got to thinking what did Remington recommend. I went to the sight and in the FAQ's they state "No More than 45 in/lbs for the VS" which has the same stock as the Sendero, I think.

Also, the screws don't go into an aluminium block, they go into the steel action. The aluminum bedding block is used to locate the action and to absorbe and transmit recoil over a larger area. It is more dimensionaly stable also.

Andre. Tell me more about your tests. I infer from your statement that your groups squeezed down as you increased the torque up to a certain point?

Anyone know or heard of a Ruger MkII Stainless Steel in 223 having overly long throats? I have one the measures 2.42" aol with a 55 gr Sierra SP. I can't seat any bullet that will shoot with the standart twist out far enough to touch the lands and at recommended seating there is a 0.200 jump and this Ruger won't shoot any group smaller than 1" plus. I'm packaging it to send back to Ruger but I would like to know of any other problem of this kind.

Thanks

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Makatak, I can't say the groups really squeezed down dramatically. Fact is the rifle shot (a bit) larger groups at 45"lbs. and shot at its best between 53 and 65. Accuracy being equal, I decided not to stress things more than they needed to.

------------------
Andr�

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote