New
Find
Notify
Tools

Offset scope - Need advice
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gentlemen, I need some advice regarding mounting a scope.

I just bought a new Winchester Model 70 Stealth. The scope is a Leupold 6.5-20, bases are standard Burris bases and the rings are Burris Signature rings. When I "soft mount" the scope to check for general alignment, it seems the scope is canted slightly to the left side of the gun. It's still parallel to the barrel, but just slightly off center. I've tried turning the bases and rings around, but the offset still exists. How likely is it that Winchester tapped the holes slightly off center into the receiver? What is the best way to check this to be sure? Could the problem be with the bases/rings? I know Burris makes several different inserts for their Signature rings. Should I attempt to correct it with these? If the holes were tapped incorrectly, what can I do to get it corrected?

I know, lots of questions. This is really frustrating when it happens on a brand new gun [Mad] . In this case, I'm hoping that I'm just overlooking something really easy.

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Jethro--

You need two straight edges....I use the blades from 12" squares. Hold one blade across the bottom of the action and one on the scope mount. You can see if they're not parrallel really easy. Try it on both mounts.

If the holes are crooked the action has to be set up on a mill or jig borer and the holes "moved" with a boreing tool that can cut one side of the hole and not the other.....a drill bit automatically centers on the old hole.

You did good by turning the mounts 180 degrees and trying them. If the mounts were bad that would show it.

If you're REALLY lucky and the receiver is wrong, the mounts will be an equal amount wrong the other way. [Smile] I actually saw that once.

<G.Malmborg>
posted
Jethro,

If the barrel and action are out of the stock you can quick check the alignment with your calipers. With the bases mounted, open your calipers and place the jaws of the calipers across the top of the scope base and the bottom flat portion of the receiver. They should be parallel with each other.

Malm

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good idea. I can't check it until this evening, but I'll let you know what happens. The caliper idea seems the easiest, so I'll try that first.

Has anyone used the Burris inserts successfully to correct something like this? That would seem like the easiest way to solve the problem, but I'm not sure how well it works. This is my first time using this type of ring.

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
Jethro,

I believe the Burris ring inserts are designed to address a slight misalignment of the rings in the verticle and horizontal plane. By your description, your problem cannot be corrected this way. The solution for your problem would be to return the rifle for a new one...

Malm