Find
Notify
Tools

Fiberglass stock comparison
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted
I wish some of you fellows who have experience with finishing out fiberglass stocks, from blanks, would compare for example - McMillan, MPI, High Tech Specialties, and maybe others. I have some specific questions which relate to the process it takes to get to the finished stock, and the satisfaction with the finished stock.
Thanks.
KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
McMillan is anywhere from a drop in fit to about an hour of prep work depending on how you order it.

MPI is pretty rough, and take quite a bit of filling, blending lines and bedding. Figure 2 to 4 hours if you know what you're doing.

High Tech can be anywhere from just filling a few pin holes and bedding to requiring some pretty significant filling and shaping. 1 to 2 hours for a good one, not including the pad.

Brown Precision require a bunch of pin holes to be filled and the mold lines to be blended. 4 to 6 hours, depending on how bad it looks.

Lone Wolf stocks are a real nightmare. They take a bunch of blending of mold lines and a very careful bedding job to ensure the action sits square in the stock. I spent almost 8 hours on the last one.

Except for McMillan, all of them will need to have the barrel channels bedded if you want the inlet to match the barrel contour. All except McMillan will also need a careful bedding job to avoid gaps around the action on the finished product (even though McMillan will also benefit from a good bedding job).

Most of them take paint really well, but I would STRONGLY advise against using Bondo to do any major filling (despite what you hear on the forums). Stick with epoxy. Marine Tex works great since it sands so well.

Bondo will not adhere nearly as well as epoxy, and if you happen to get a ding on the Bondo patch after the stock is finished, you will have quite a scar.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My dealings with High Tech was like 10 hrs. and then off to Cas.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote