New
Find
Notify
Tools

1885 Ultramag
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
So I'm still considering a Browning/Winchester 1885 in 7mm or 300 Ultramag (depending on donor rifle). Haven't seen one yet, and I'm a little wary because of the minimal chamber wall thickness.

Winchester did make some WSM 1885's recently, and the WSM's are slightly larger than the Ultramags. My question is - does anyone know if the barrel thread dimensions or metallurgy is different in these WSM guns than the other Browning/Winchester 1885's?

(I know there are better choices for an Ultramag, but there's something about those Hi-Walls that I cannot resist)

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
That sounds like a nice build. I recently sold a Winchester 70 300 Ultra mag that had never been shot. Still have cases, dies and everything to load it. I had really intended to keep it, but the offer was too good. Now, like you, I am looking for an ultra mag and don't want a Remington.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The 1885 barrel shank OD is .935. Did they enlarge it for the WSM? I don't know, but I doubt it.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
They did change the barrel tenon dimension when they began chambering the WSM. It is 1-32 UNEF.

Posts: 19 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 20 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Learned something.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well that's not good, because it looks like Brownchester was also concerned about the chamber wall thickness so they went with finer threads to increase the distance from the chamber to the thread bottoms.

Cantshootalick, do you know if they retained the fine theads for the later 1885 Safaris? (300 & 375 H&H's)

posted Hide Post
If memory serves me, it is across the board.

Posts: 19 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 20 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How's that rebated rim work in the 1885?

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote