Find
Notify
Tools

Shelf Life Acraglas
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted
How long will unopened Acraglas gel last on the shelf?

Going to be used to bed a hard kicking 22 LR, so I an really only wondering about viability of the reactants.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4258 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had some for years never really paid much attention to the actual time period it sat but it was some time.

Posts: 19581 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had some for 7 + years . when new it is nice and runny. As it gets older it goes something like honey. When it does this simply put the bottle in hot water and it "melts" back to its original runny condition.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One of the knife forums [BladeForums] ? ] had a very extensive article about adhesives and found that Acraglas was one of the best in every way. I don't remember any differences between regular an gel types . In any case on my rifles close to 50 years later the Acraglas on them is still rock hard !!

I checked the BladeForums stickies and saw that My memory was right . The two rated highest were Acraglas and Marine Systems G Flex . This from a concensis of knife makers some from serious comparisons.

https://www.bladeforums.com/th...l-and-devcon.254346/

some more info though not to the point of the OP. Never use 5 or 10 minute stuff. Don't use on polished surfaces , roughen them up for better adhesion. Do not over tighten and squeeze out the adhesive . Like brazing and soldering the best gap is .003" .Adhesives should be similar .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Un-cured epoxies can be stored at low temperature almost indefinitely. I have some in my freezer that's ancient, but still works great.

For curing, you can go the other way and warm it up. Even "cured" epoxy will get soft when warmed up. I've seen bedded stocks go wonky when left in a hot car. To some extent you can step cure most epoxies. For example, when I bed something I let it cure. Then I trim and clean up the excess and then heat the part again in a no-load configuration. Like the dash of a hot car. Then it will be hard for the life of the part.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This can depend on how long it's been on the "shelf" before you get it too. I have had brand new stuff be "stale" upon receipt. Once or twice I've noticed the cap on a new jar is not on tight either.
I usually go through about one 8-oz. shop kit per year on average. If the stuff is good and fresh, it will be very smooth and creamy as you mix it. At some point during the ageing process, the resin (the white material) will take on a somewhat granular appearance and won't want to mix quite as completely with the hardener. That's how I tell if it has gone stale.
When this happens all is not lost however. I just heat the mix up in the cup using a hair dryer or a light bulb, until ti mixes nice and smooth and creamy again, and use as I normally would. Works just fine then. I have yet to use material that is "several years old," so I don't know for how long this will actually work.
I would estimate that it can become "grainy" in about one year or less, which I think was your original question. But heating while mixing seems to "restore" it quite well.

A good job is sometimes just a series of expertly fixed fark-ups.
Let's see.... is it 20 years experience or is it 1 years experience 20 times?
And I will have you know that I am not an old fart. I am a curmudgeon. A curmudgeon is an old fart with an extensive vocabulary and a really bad attitude.

Posts: 324 | Location: Too far north and 50 years too late | Registered: 02 February 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Forever. If, and when, it gets granular, just put it into the microwave for a few seconds and it will return to it's original consistency and all the graininess will be gone. It's usually the white part that gets grainy.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
What dpcd said!

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1381 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
I had some (Acraglas Gel) that I had been using for about nine or ten years and was down to about half a container (the half pint size) and I got it out to use one day and no matter what ratio I mixed it the stuff wouldn't set up. It had never been left open and was always in a temperature controlled area (work bench in the downstairs bedroom). No bedroom stuff just gun safes a work bench and a counter and cabinets across one end, I even have my own bathroom when I'm down there working on something.
Brownells sent me new stuff and apologized for my trouble. They had never heard of it doing that before.

Steve........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1837 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote