New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wheeler Engineering Tools
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anybody have an opinion on these tools offered in Midway and a few other sites. I am looking at barrel removal tools and squaring tools as well as reciever facing etc. Are these tools accurate? Thanks in advance. Swede96.

Posts: 87 | Location: Woodbury, Ct. 06798 | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of AKJD
posted Hide Post
Swede 96,

I have the Rem action wrench and the barrel vice. Have used them to remove barrels from several Remington 700s and a Savage 110 without any difficulty. As these were my first attempts at barrel removal, I did a search on this forum for tips and followed some of the advice given on using masking tape under the wrench and powdered sugar in the vice. As to the other tools I have no experience.

JD

[ 11-11-2003, 01:34: Message edited by: AKJD ]

Posts: 323 | Location: Fairbanks AK | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Swede:

I bought one of their drilling and tapping riggs, and was completly satisfied with its performance. My only complaint, the supplied drill bit wouldn't go thru the hard 1903 Remington Receiver. I solved this problem, by ordering the "hard" drill bit from Brownells. The job turned out straight and true.

Jerry

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have just finished (almost anyway) my first rifle project. In the process I purchased the drilling rig, barrel vise, action wrench, and bolt facing tool.

The drilling tool was handy, worked well and I'd recommend it to someone without an indexed drill press or milling machine.

The barrel vise with wooden block inserts doesn't cut the mustard IMO. I'm still learning but couldn't seem to get enough hold to remove a military barrel or install the replacement. I plan on building another with aluminum bushings in the future. (There was an excellent thread about vises here a few weeks back.)

The action wrench is good but is a V shape instead of a half round. That holds the ring in two points and can mark it unless a lead shim is placed in between. I think the Brownells wrench is better as it has a half round head which should space the torque force more evenly around the ring.

The bolt facing tool was quite handy. It is as it appears, a piece that screws into the action and a faced rod to apply a lapping compound to the bolt face. I also made another lapping rod for the primary recoil shoulder which worked well also.

Hope this helps,

Dan Mayberry

Posts: 179 | Location: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote