THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deep checkering - can it be removed and re-cut?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The stock on my BRNO ZKK 602 has some very deep, rough checking on it.
It would be nice to sand back and have recut, but it runs so deep that it looks as if it might be difficult to sand back enough to get rid of it.
How unusual is it for checking to be "unremovable"?

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Close up photos would help our checkering experts make a determanition..

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
Most checkering can be repaired, talk to a master checkerer and get their opinion.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Without seeing the problem first hand I would say yes it can be "fixed", however you may have to redo the stock around the checkering to make things look right. You really don't want the checkering to be below the surrouding wood. Just cleaning up the grooves may also inprove the looks by making the checkering look less "rough". I redo most of my guns just for that reason, the Mfg. just can't afford the time to go over the checkering with a fine cutter. --- John 303.