New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good Luck/Bad Luck
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Was at the gunshow in Lousville today and picked up a pre-64 Winchester Standard Grade in 30-06. The action and metal look untouched but the stock was a cobbled together abomination. Someone took the factory stock and added a big Weatherby type grip cap and an angled black forend tip complete with white spacers and red lightning bolts. The dude had $750 on the gun and it was 2:00 Sunday and the traffic was extremely light. Got it for $650. Serial # is in the 418,5XX range. (Anyone know the year of Manufacture?)
I've already got the Williams one-piece bottom metal and have an Echols Legend on the way from Utah.
I'm probably going to send it off to Mark Penrod for the metal work...
I'm thinking Krieger 270 Winchester barrel. Maybe a featherweight contour...but I also like the light contour that D'Arcy put on his rifles...defintely 24". Anyone care to comment on the length or contour?
Trigger work...2.5-3 lbs is fine
Of course Mark trues the action/threads/boltface etc as part of his re-barrel process. I'd like him to slick up the action/feeding some. I saw some pretty fancy loking checkered bolt releases and they look great but its not something I feel I need badly enough to pay $400 for...so we'll see what that will run. I'm leaning towards Talley mounts/fixed rings. Perhaps a new bolt handle..again not if its in the $400 range. Lastly, I think I'll want him to reshape the tang a little. Bead blast and blue.

All input on my project gun appreciated.

Oh, the bad luck happened as I was leaving the show. Guy in a Caddy ran a red light and totaled my car. Everyone's fine. I was shopping for a new car anyhow. Maybe a Toyota FJ cruiser is in my future?

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I would call Mr. Echols and ask him about the barrel contour. A featherweight barrel might look a little funny in that stock.

.270Win would be a great choice!

Sorry to here about the car! FJ cruiser's are nice. I looked at them hard, but went with a Tacoma 4door 4X4.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks TC.
I did actually correspond with D'Arcy about the barrel contour and he said a featherweight barrel would work quite nicely.

Also found the date of mfr: 1957.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Sounds like it's off to the races then Wink
I think it'll make a very nice rifle.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd like to see some pics of that stock when you get it...

Guess you should wait until you get the stock before you reshape that tang...

A checkered bolt stop is approx 50 bucks from Wisners.

Posts: 360 | Location: PA | Registered: 29 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I checked with Mark and his price for a checkered bolt stop is substantially lower than my $200 budget for the option. So I took my savings there and ordered some Blackburn bottom metal. Spoke with Ted today and he said he is 6 weeks out on a run of number 1's. He said the stock magazine box will work fine and there is no need to go out and buy a new one. (pretty interesting coming from a guy who makes magazine boxes). So instead of williams bottom metal I'll be using the Blackburn.

Mark also told me that a new bolt handle isn't anywhere near $400 including parts and install so I told him to go ahead with a McFarland 3 panel.

I also received the Echol's Legend stock from D'Arcy this week. Here's a pic of the stock next to a Sako L579 in a McMillan Sako classic stock.

The stock will go off to Mark next week and then the waiting begins. Kinda doubt I'll get it in time for November's deer season. But you never know.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh, and my insurance company totaled my car...so I'm driving a rented Ford Explorer until I figure out what the heck I want to drive and they deposit the check in my account.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't know if it's in your budget, but I've heard Mark does a great job on M70 triggers. Among other things, he reams the holes and fits new pins to eliminate side-play and wobble.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, its on the list. Told him 2.5#

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As to the year your rifle was manufactured , 1957.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KY Nimrod:
I checked with Mark and his price for a checkered bolt stop is substantially lower than my $200 budget for the option. So I took my savings there and ordered some Blackburn bottom metal. Spoke with Ted today and he said he is 6 weeks out on a run of number 1's. He said the stock magazine box will work fine and there is no need to go out and buy a new one. (pretty interesting coming from a guy who makes magazine boxes). So instead of williams bottom metal I'll be using the Blackburn.

Mark also told me that a new bolt handle isn't anywhere near $400 including parts and install so I told him to go ahead with a McFarland 3 panel.

I also received the Echol's Legend stock from D'Arcy this week. Here's a pic of the stock next to a Sako L579 in a McMillan Sako classic stock.

The stock will go off to Mark next week and then the waiting begins. Kinda doubt I'll get it in time for November's deer season. But you never know.

I'm curious, KY. Having little experience
with synthetics, (2 Borden stocks) I was
wondering about that light gray color on the
Echols stock. Is that primer or a built in finish?

I wonder if epoxy will stick to it well?
What was the delivery time on the stock?

Care to share D'Arcy's contact info and the
cost of one of those?

Regards,

Don

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damned shame with Echols woodcraft that you're going with plastic!!

Stocks is where he excel's best.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6002 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats a stock blank...its been primed and thats all. It needs to be have the mold marks filled and sanded and obviously has no sling swivels or recoil pad.

I talked with him last week and he said he's about 8 weeks out on the next batch from McMillan and I got the last one he had on his shelf. They are ONLY available for pre and post Winchester M70 standard and magnum actions (and Montana Rifle Company actions) He can order any barrel profile you like but generally gets them cut for his light sporter profile.

D'Arcy Echols & Co.
PO Box 421
Millville Utah 84326

legend@bridgernet.com

I'll let him quote you a price. He's very good about responding to e-mails.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
Damned shame with Echols woodcraft that you're going with plastic!!

Stocks is where he excel's best.

George

George,

I believe it! But I also can't scratch together $20k for an Echols wood stocked rifle. He's only doing complete guns... And there are a TON of superbly crafted wood stocked rifles on the market in the $5k range. I am building my utility rifle--the one that's gonna get the bluing worn off the knob and have the bottom metal rubbed bright. When its all said and done with a scope I expect I'll have about $3500 in the gun.

Trust me I love a great piece of walnut.