Find
Notify
Tools

Commercial Mauser I.D.?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted
Is the so-called Golden State Arms Mauser the Santa Barbara action? What is it?

Thanks,
KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of weagle
posted Hide Post
Frank de Haas states that they are nearly identical Spanish made actions, but the link between the Centurian/golden state actions and the Santa Barbara actions is unclear. He speculated, but did not confirm any manufacturing tie.
de Haas does think very highly of the golden state actions although he says some random unconfirmed gunsmith claimed they were too soft for magnum chamberings.

Weagle

Weagle

Posts: 737 | Location: atlanta ga | Registered: 11 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
I kinda - sorta figured that might be the answer. A guy wouldn't want to buy one of the S B actions, mistaking it was something else. As for me, I want to be absolutly sure that I don't have one in my collection. Big Grin So, why take a chance?

Frank sure wasn't shy about speculation and hearsay. Humm --- Not worth much in court, but apparantly worthwhile regarding rifles. Roll Eyes

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I kinda remember my dad getting barreled actions from Golden State in the 60s. I got a few myself and never had any problems with stretching or whatever. They were rather distinctive with the up-sweep of the bolt. I think even Parker Hale used the for awhile too. I know the ones marketed under the Foremost title To JC Penny were Santa Barbara and the were good guns. Wish I had them now!
Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I remember correctly a few Golden state arms had FN actions and some mil actions, but most probably Santa Barbara

I had a Sears (probably from centurian) santa barbara spain rifle. It looked nice but the reciever sorta looked like some alloy metal and it was ruff cycling the bolt and fireing pin spring seemed kinda stiff. I sold it

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote