New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage 99 Steel weaver or Picatinny bases
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I haven't been able to locate any steel bases, just aluminum. Can anyone suggest a source? I want to use Leupold QRW rings with a scope, plus backup irons.

I'm planning another Africa trip for 2024 and this time it's a lever action challenge. My choice is a 99 Savage 308 with rotary magazine and top tang safety. They were made for only a couple years. I have a Nightforce 2.5-10 scope ready.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2147 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You will have to make them from blank mount stock.

Posts: 17178 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a base and rings for M99, Weaver all steel Top Mount if interested. It's a one piece top mount and the rings screw in from the bottom.
PM me your email if you want pics.

Posts: 1681 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Older Redfield rings and bases are out there and best on 99s,,Thats a mighty big scope for a trim little 99 savage, Mine have 4X Leupold's and worked fine in Africa and the US in 308..big scopes are a wreck getting ready to happen IMO..

Weaver aluminum bases work fine, you won't have problems with them..the rings are as strong as they can be but aggravating as hell to level on installation and tend to drift over if you use them hard on horseback or in a PU on ranch roads for months at a time..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I haven't been able to locate any steel bases, just aluminum

I never had a problem with the Aluminum bases on any of the 99s I have mounted scopes on.

Posts: 19432 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Of course they work fine, but it's all in our heads that steel is better. I only use steel now; not because it works better, but because other people think they are and will pay more for them. There are actually plenty of 99 steel bases out there; most are one piece. Even better!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't like the look of Weaver steel band rings. In fact I will be changing the scope on my 99DL .358 for the upcoming season, I have a choice of the above mention 1pc. Redfield mount with the integral peep sight, a set of 2pc. Warne/Tally style lever rings and bases (no idea who made them but I don't think Warne ever cataloged the 99) or a 1pc. Maynard Buehler mount and rings.

Correct me if I'm wrong but do Leupold dovetail rings fit the Redfield bases?

Posts: 1681 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have a Redfield one piece base on my Model 99 300 Savage with a Redfield 2X8 scope mounted on it.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Leupold and Redfield DT type rings and bases are all the same.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm good. Installed aluminum bases and QD rings. This gun shoots 1 MOA for 3 shots.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2147 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 99s all have the old redfield one piece steel base and the old 4 screw rings of the 1940s and 50s..I really like the color case ones but hard to fined but easy to have done..I hunt a lot with the 99 in 308 and 250-3000, and a custom 30-30 by Beitzinger from days gone by..love that one.Hunted
South Africa with them, fun hunt..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I met George about 30 years ago, he had a booth t a local gun show. He was a real gentleman to talk too, I visited his shop a couple of times and bought a Beretta o/u from him.

I don't know if George is still with us, the last time I saw him he was training his son, hopefully he carried on his dad's great work.

George was primarily a custom Mauser smith, I had no idea he did M99's.

Have a picture Ray?

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I had B&L adjustable mounts on the 243. It had a hole in the rear mount so you could feel/see the cocking indicator. Sold it a few years ago.

Posts: 6438 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote