New
Find
Notify
Tools

ACGG 2007 Raffle Project Photos
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
For anyone interested, I just noticed the 2007 Guild project photos have been posted. A pair of Mausers built by Jim Dubell & David Christman.

LINK 1

LINK 2

- stu

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
Beats the hell out of my current coffee table. I'll be getting some tickets for those without a doubt. Only problem is, the last thing I won in a raffle was a 13 inch color tv when I was about 14 years old. I feel lucky, I could be due for another big win.
Timan

Posts: 1225 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i cant undrstand when building fine rifles , why the heck do these guys dont use a proper action, not a used second hand clapped out rig, and then put time and money into it...why not use a action made by SATTERLEE, WELLS,JOHANNSEN, GMA, PRECHTAL , there appear to be enough choices......timan i would not waste my money on tickets ...put it towards a CNC...
REGARDS DANIEL

Posts: 1481 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M 98:
i cant undrstand when building fine rifles , why the heck do these guys dont use a proper action, not a used second hand clapped out rig, and then put time and money into it...why not use a action made by SATTERLEE, WELLS,JOHANNSEN, GMA, PRECHTAL , there appear to be enough choices......timan i would not waste my money on tickets ...put it towards a CNC...
REGARDS DANIEL

Because they are true craftsmen not parts assemblers. Please don’t buy tickets that will improve my odds of winning.

Howard
Moses Lake, Washington USA
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2339 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
I'm sure they would be more than happy to use one of the actions that you mentioned. They acepeted donated materials for the project. I is suppose they would be intersted in a donated newly manufactured action or two. It would be expensive on the donaters part but he who decides to afford it gets some good publicity in
in return. might be worth it. Or somebody could buy a newly manufactured M-98 then donate it.
Timan

Posts: 1225 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
Duh!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
M 98,
You have just been elevated. Okay maybe elevated is the wrong word, more like the opposite. I am referring to your post probably being one of the dumbest, ignorant, most ill thought out comments I have ever seen on this site.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Someone at the show in Reno last month wanted to buy the coffee table from Jim Dubell.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick 0311:
Someone at the show in Reno last month wanted to buy the coffee table from Jim Dubell.

Kind of like walking into a Dodge dealership and trying to buy just the wheels off a Viper.

Was he from Mississippi by any chance? We'll do that kind of stuff clap

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn’t see the guy that wanted to buy the table. Bill Soverns took me over to introduce me to Jim Dubell and Jim mentioned it to us while we were admiring the rifles. Jim also made the table.

The rifles are incredibly beautiful. What I personally liked about them was the subtleness of the “decoration.†It didn’t “jump†out at you from ten feet away like that on some of the other rifles at the show. Sort of like a beautiful woman wearing very small and subtle jewelry that doesn’t distract your eyes from her, but only compliments the entire “package!â€

The scope bases looked like they were an integral part of the receiver, and the metal stock hardware looked like it grew out of the wood. They were, IMO, the most beautiful rifles at the show.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
M98,

Used does not mean clapped out. To be sure there are plenty of abused M98's around but I seriously doubt that these gents would use one.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know absolutely nothing about Mausers...but my eyes work just fine, and I defy anyone to look at either of those rifles up close (as I did) and find a single thing where you could tell that the receivers didn’t come out of the factory yesterday. There is absolutely NOTHING that looks “used†or “clapped-out†on either of these rifles.

It is utterly ridiculous to think that any craftsman with this obvious talent would use an inferior action as the basis for a rifle that required the time, skill and effort that went into building these rifles.

Disclaimer: I do not own a single Mauser and never have, and I have no personal or business connection to anyone associated with these rifles.

Also, I didn’t really like the coffee table! Nice design, but the color sucked (it’s much lighter than the picture)...an observation I might ad, that was shared by Mr. Dubell’s wife. However, the lighter color was in perfect harmony with the darkness of the rifles it displayed, and was just as perfectly coordinated to draw the eyes to the rifles and not their surroundings. These guys not only know how to build beautiful rifles, their talent for display was equally impressive.

one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
moon M98 have a nice day.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Soverns:
moon M98 have a nice day.

Hey, Bill...does this remind you of the conversations we had in Reno about the “my way or the highway“ attitude of some AR members????? I guess there will always be a certain faction out there that feels the need to try and somehow validate their own preferences by degrading EVERYTHING else that doesn’t fit their preconceived notion of what is good and bad, accpetable and unaccpetable, when it comes to rifles.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I didn't notice it written anywhere. Does anyone know what Mauser actions were used?

- stu

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stu C:
I didn't notice it written anywhere. Does anyone know what Mauser actions were used?

- stu

stu,

Bill Soverns could tell you...I don’t know one from the other when it comes to Mausers. Far too many models, factories, countries, years and designations for my poor old brain to keep track of. Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
I love the cheekpiece design.

-Spencer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShopCartRacing:
I love the cheekpiece design.

-Spencer

Sorry for interrupting this thread Spencer, but I have tried and tried to contact you to see if you got the info you asked me to send to your PO box. I sent it last month and have never heard from you.

one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Rick,

I do remember that conversation.

The donor actions were Chilean Mausers if memory serves. Im sure Jim will correct me if I am mistaken.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
David said they started out as Peruvian Mausers and were pretty nice. I sure am glad that he is the one whittling on my 458 Lott stock. You will definitely see pics when I get it back.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim Dubell posted some pics of the parts and early work on his web site for Delta Gun Shop. It is worth a look if you havn't seen it.

http://www.deltagunshop.com/Accg2007.html

Like all of the Guild projects I have viewed, this looks like the very best work. Perhaps equalled but unlikely to be bested anywhere in the world. Kudo's to all involved.

Roger

Posts: 254 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd just put the whole coffee table in the back of the truck and head west in the fall.

They accomplished whAt they set out to do. Every year I buy a ticket to the raffle and say "if I win it I'd have to sell it, too pretty to use" (BTW, "too pretty to use", that's where I draw the line comparing guns to women). But these are gorgeous guns and I'd use them well.

Rob

Posts: 1688 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
THat was the thinking behind these '07 rifles-they are customs and very nice, but they are "working guns." THey are not so far over the top that hopefully they will actually get used in the field.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Because they are true craftsmen not parts assemblers. Please don’t buy tickets that will improve my odds of winning.

This was explained to me in a very similar fashion by a well known 'Smith that makes lam/syn stocked rifles. He said that his rifles really were just semi custom and the options available we not as unlimited as with a Gunsmith.

I have never wanted a synthetic stocked M700 titanium, my best friend has one though. To each his own, but do not push your beliefs on me. I think a rifle that was known to be an effective military gun at over 800 meters diserves the repect to be the foundation of a true custom rifle. I hope the Marine shooting team that went to WWI did not hear you, ortherwise maybe they too will start to loose respect for the generations of Americans that have followed them. Those honorable men made a name for the 1903 with well placed shots into Germans at extreme range and spoke highly of the craftsmanship and fit and finish of thier rifles. The Germans even coined a name for the rifle, and complained about it's effectiveness over thier Mausers.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote