THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Re: Interesting observation about Ruger 77 MKII bo

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Interesting observation about Ruger 77 MKII bo
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
If I'm not mistaken, I believe the very first M77 MkIIs had the same basic action/bolt as the tang-safety Model 77s (a "Mk I"; not an official model name). i.e: They were a push feed with a Mauser style ejector. I think all of the Mk IIs were changed over to controlled round feed after the Ruger Magnum rifles started coming out. I'm sure the more knowledgable posters on here can provide more facts and dates, etc.

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just noticed something about Ruger 77 MKII bolts. They're apparently not all the same.
Here's a pic, on the left is my brand new .280 stainless/syn rifle's bolt. It's one of the new black plastic stocks.
On the right is my slightly older 30/06's bolt. It is one with the boat oar stock with wood inserts.
It looks like the 30/06 bolt is not finished, and they forgot to machine off the bottom of the bolt.
I think I read someone else on here or huntamerica post this same observation. Is it a mistake? a manufacturing change? Anyone have any ideas?
It works and feeds fine, just curious.

One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
The bolt on the right is a push feed bolt even though it has the massive claw extractor.

The other bolt seems to be a real CRF bolt.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's a 1992 model, so it should be CRF??? These are both stainless rifles, and as far as I can research, no push feed stainless rifles were ever made?? right?

one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
Bobby

There is really no way for the bolt on the right can be CRF.
The lug on the bottom of the bolt face would prevent the rim from rideing up into the extractor.
But look at it like this, 50 years from now you can say you have a transition model. It will be worth twice as much.

Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Bobby, the first run of MKII's were PF not CRF. The lower lip can easily be ground off to make it EXACTLY the same as the current MKII's... in fact, if you contact Ruger they'll probably do it for you.