Find
Notify
Tools

Sako Mag Box Modification
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi All,

I have a couple of Sako L461 rifles, one is a heavy barrel .222Mag the other is a L461 that I bought as an action and had a 6mm barrel put in and chambered for 6X47. The problem is that the mag box for the 6X47 is a .222Rem mag box and jams the 6x47 rounds.

Looking at both of the mag boxes, I see the the only difference between them is a stamped in indent right at the neck area of the cases. The 222Mag box has the indent farther forward to accommodate the longer case. I am thinking that if I heat up the box and pound the indent flush I can then pound in a new indent at the proper location.

My question is: is this a viable solution? or is there a better way to do this. Sako parts are very hard to find and not cheap when found so I must work with what I have.

Thanks in advance for any and all help and/or suggestions you all can offer.

Marcos (elalto)

Posts: 143 | Location: Chula Vista, California, USA | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is unclear from your post, but I'm assuming that the box which is jamming with the 6x47 is one for the .222 Rem, not the .222 Mag, correct? The "shoulders" on the box don't really do much (other than get in the way in this case). No need to heat the magazine box as it is simply stamped material. just hammer out the shoulders and see if that does the trick.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
If memory serves 6x47 Rem and the 222 Rem Mag are the same case. Just a bigger bullet. It sounds like you may not have the mag box installed properly in the action. The only difference that could cause problems is the diameter of the bullet after it starts nosing up on the feed ramp. The bumpers on the mag well are suposed to impact on the sholders and point the bullets into the chamber.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't recall ever seeing any differences in the L461 magazine boxes.

Could you post a picture of these two boxes?

Also....a 6x47 cartridge is really gonna crowd the magazine box. If I remember correctly the maximum overall cartridge length is 2.280"....plus or minus a few thou.

Kevin

Posts: 412 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi All,

Stonecreek: I do believe that you are spot on and I will probably do as you suggest, thanks.

SpeerChucker: You Sir are correct in that the cases are the same, however, I am trying to fit the mag case into a standard 222Rem box, thanks.

Kevin: The difference is very slight, actually just half the the size of the indent forward on the one vs. the other. The length of the boxes are the same for both the mag and the standard, thanks.

Posts: 143 | Location: Chula Vista, California, USA | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A direct swap with someone would be the go, I just checked my parts drawer, I only have a spare 222 box.
I do have a 222mag deluxe, but, I won't be parting that out, it is a stunning rifle.
You will come across one, you just hace to wait.

Cheers.
wave

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi All,

Good news, I took a small ball peen hammer to the "indents" making them flush with the sides of the mag box and IT DID THE JOB!! I did have to do a little fitting at the bottom metal as the box grew a little but once in, the rounds do not jam and they load and extract perfectly.

Thanks to All!

Marcos (elalto)