New
Find
Notify
Tools

custom rifle for my grandfather...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am thinking to buy a custom rifle for my grandfather. He has been hunting for 56 years!
Next year he will be 80 and is still an active hunter.
I know that he prefers a wooden classic stock, fine checkering and open sights. Caliber of his choice is 6,5x55. Whom in US would you recommend? I know f.e. Dakota, Al Biesen...
My budget is 5000$. Thank you for response in advance.
CZ

Posts: 208 | Location: Prague, Czech Republic | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
If you're not real particular about what would suffice, you might consider looking at the various websites of "used" custom guns for sale. You can save a lot of time and money that way.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Al Biesen does really nice work, D'Arcy is another excellent choice.

I got to say though, your Grampa is old, and really high end customs take a while. Wouldn't getting the "Super Grade" from hell work just as well and and its new in the box for him. That is a much quicker timeline, like 18 months or better saved.

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a .284 Winchester built by Steve Billeb, it is for sale on Hallowell"s site.

Custom .284

Oops, you said open sights. Well it is good eye candy

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CZ

Tucker-Burgess - Small Ring Mauser - 6.5 x 55 caliber

Overall condition: As New
Stock condition: As New
Metal condition: As New
Stock: original finish
Metal: original finish

Very nice rifle.

Roland

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank You for tips guys, I found both rifles on the websites - Hallowell and Griffin&Howe offer beautiful second hand rifles.

Posts: 208 | Location: Prague, Czech Republic | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote