Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula for slow rust blueing solution
 Login/Join

posted
I was wondering if anybody had a formula for a rust blueing solution. I have used several others and did not get the results I was after. I'm looking for one that will give me that deep dark rich blue,black color as on the pre war winchester model 70s. Any information or formulas would be of great.

Posts: 11 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This question was asked awhile back.

I believe that many posters replied that Jim Baiar's Gun Goddess solution was one of the best on the market. Have you tried it? You can get it, I believe, from Half Moon Rifle Shop.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Try Gun Goddess from Half Moon Rifle Shop. Some may do as well but there isn't anything substantially better. A bottle that will do 4-5 long arms is $7.50 plus shipping.

It has never failed me even though I have done things that might have failed it. Polishing is the key. If that ain't right, no solution will take up the slack.

Baiar, Jim
Owner
490 Halfmoon Rd
Columbia Falls, MT 59912-8919
Phone: 406-892-4409

Don't look for a web page; Jim doesn't have much use for the web or email. He is the same fellow that hot-blues all of D'Arcy Echols' Legend rifles and makes great barrels, too.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
I've been using Baiar's solution for 16 of the 20 years I've been bluing. I've tried all the rest. There's no comparison.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Roger, now get back to work so you can make it to Oregon.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote