New
Find
Notify
Tools

Krieghoff "Trumps" question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Have a lead on a Krieghoff double in 7mm. Photo and description shows vg blueing and wood, but state that bore is only "fair."

I know that re-barreling on a double is out of the question ( at least economically ) , but what might be done with it, if anything? Is a guy stuck with what he has?

This is offered by a dealer with a good rep, but I would want to have a plan before driving several hours to check it out.

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most people do not clean barrels, so they don't really know the condition of the bore or bores. And the few that do, don't really know how or are willing to spend the time to get them clean enuff to tell the condition fo the bore. Take heart, it's a 50/50 hit that it's good. but don't let the guy thats to important to clean pay you to clean it for him by cutting you a deal. "Damm shame about the bore" What would it be worth if the bore was good? This would be my starting point after looking it over, wish I had known before driving all the way over that the bore is gone. You know, Make the guy look forward to the next time someone tells him the same. Good luck!

Posts: 116 | Location: Alaska,U.S.A. | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Borealis Bob,
Cliff LaBounty had a boring machine that he designed and built that was created solely to rebore double rifles. Cliff did all of the double rifle rebore jobs for Holland & Holland and has for a number of years. He recently sold it and his single barrel reboring machines to Jim Dubell, who posts here. Cliff also trained Jim in it's use. From my understanding, it has not been moved from Western Washington to Eastern Washington but it will be shipped within the next few months.

The price for reboring and rechambering will be in the $1500 range, +/-. I am only guessing but I knew Cliff charged a similar price.

You can reach Jim at 598 684 5855.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Add that to what the rifle cost you. And the niffty remarking of the barrel and think about how many people will want it when your done! Starting to sound like a 20 year gun. You know one you have to keep for twenty to get your money out of it. If the bores don't clean up I would not put money into anything that will hurt the resale value of that rifle. Buy it right, if it shoots well then what does it matter as long as you didn't get hurt going in on the purchase price. Remember profit starts at what you have to pay for it!

Posts: 116 | Location: Alaska,U.S.A. | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Chic, is Cliff completely out of the reboring business now? Jim doing it?

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Chic. That is the info I needed. Now I need to get a Blue Book and check into the value of the rifle as is, add on the re-boring, and see how it plays out.

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
fla3006,
Yes Cliff is no longer doing any reboring and jim has all of his business. If memory serves me, Jim will be able to use the LaBounty Precision Reboring name for a few years and then he will have to rename it.

Cliff is building metalworking machines as his retirement activity.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote