Find
Notify
Tools

Which Anti-seize compoind?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Kory
posted
I'm putting together an order through MSC for some shop supplies and wanted to order a can of anti-seize compound for general gunsmithing work (barrel htreads, etc) and I am overhelmed with the number of choices and types.

Can you guys recommend a type or brand that you use?

Thanks,
Kory

Posts: 860 | Location: Montana | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kory,
Don't know who MSC is, so I can't look at what they have available. But, I went to my local auto parts store years ago and bought some from them and have been using it for gun work without any problems since
I think the basic ingredients in all of them are almost the same as I recall.
Sorry I can't answer your question directly.
Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have s mall tub of Brownells assembly paste. It appears to be Moly in a lithium grease base. It works very well. Just like Brylcream-a dab 'll do ya.
lawndart

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of covey16
posted Hide Post
I've used NevrSeize and a couple of different automotive related anti seize compounds on AR15s with good results.
Just be careful to avoid the copper or graphite based compounds.

Covey16

Funny,After a rotten war like this,how hard it is to leave- Duncan Grinell-Milne

Posts: 4197 | Location: Sabine County,Texas | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Covey,, Just currios why avoid the copper or graphite? What happens there???

I just have that stuff for automotive use. Just wondered...

I notice that those two types do stain metal. Is that what you are refering to far as gun stuff?

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of covey16
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSP7:
Covey,, Just currios why avoid the copper or graphite? What happens there???

I just have that stuff for automotive use. Just wondered...

I notice that those two types do stain metal. Is that what you are refering to far as gun stuff?

Possible galvanic reaction. Someone with a better background in metalurgy would probably have a better explanation.

Graphite has been used to lubricate ARs and works short term, but long term can cause something that looks like stress cracks and corrosion in Aluminum. Just an opinion from observation don't have a background in this area. Possibly graphite retains moisture??

Covey16

Funny,After a rotten war like this,how hard it is to leave- Duncan Grinell-Milne

Posts: 4197 | Location: Sabine County,Texas | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is my understanding that if Aluminum is present, and especially if dissimilar metals are connected, then use the anti-seize compound with Aluminum powder in it.

The stuff with copper or bronze in it will handle high temperatures better. Some say that it works with stainless better, too, but I don't see any reason for that.

As for barreling work, I would think that anything should be OK.

Geo.

Posts: 305 | Location: Indian Territory | Registered: 21 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I take off 90 year old barrels I see rust.
I get them loose with Kroil and a hammer.

I put barrels on with Moly grease.
I think they will come off easily in my lifetime.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote