THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Generally accepted clearance for a free-floated barrel?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Generally accepted clearance for a free-floated barrel?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi Guys,

Is there a generally accepted clearance between a stock and a free-floated barrel? I have been doing some sanding on an aftermarket stock because the gap was quite tight on one side, which I think may have contributed to erratic groups.

Thanks for your help.

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
The old standard was a crisp dollar bill should be able to slide under the barrel from the foreend to the end of the chamber.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Depends on what you want.
Fine wood hunting rifle. .005"
Target tactical .030" and up

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesHow bout .050". That seems about right. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Every gun is different and the amount is based on where and by how much the particular barrel moves when it heats up. You need to float the barrel until there is no contact between it and the forearm whether the barrel is hot or cold. You also need to take into account any potential movement of the forearm. The barrel must still be free floating regardless of where things move. Under adverse hunting conditions, a crisp dollar bill's worth ain't enough.

Initially, I like to float a barrel enough to where I can smack the forearm from any direction without detecting any contact with the barrel.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Under adverse hunting conditions, a crisp dollar bill's worth ain't enough.

+1 tu2 I have no set guage but it is for sure more than a $ bill. More like 2-3 layers of masking tape

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if a $1 bill isn't enough - would a $5 work OK Big Grin sofa

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I use 2 layers of 10 mil pipe wrap tape for most rifles.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
if a $1 bill isn't enough - would a $5 work OK Big Grin sofa

I don't use anything smaller than a C-note. Cool

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't it depend even more on whether or not the action is bedded and what type of stock it is - plastic, wood, fiberglass, etc.????

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The stock for my wifes 243 ended up being .017. I think I used two layers of electrical tape wrapped around the barrel at the end of the forend and halfway between the forend tip and action. The action is bedded at the tang and under the front screw with the first inch of the barrel also bedded. It could be a little more, maybe .025 -.030 but not much more on this one. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote