New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tight extractor problem
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a CRF Winchester Model 70 action that was originally a .270. It has been rebarelled and chambered in 6.5x55.

I load a round into the magazine, start the bolt forward and the bottom of the bolt face catches the rim of the cartridge case and starts it forward. As the cartridge starts forward it clears the point at which the magazine holds it back and the magazine spring pushes the cartridge case up. This is where the problem begins. The extractor seems to be too tight. Not that it is too close to the face of the bolt and wont let the rim of the case between it and and the bolt face. But, the edge of the extractor is too close to the other side of the bolt face and wont let the rim of the cartridge fully seat into the top most position of the bolt face. So, as the cartridge continues forward it is in an upright position with the nose of the bullet higher and the base of the case lower. The tip of the bullet is catching on the mouth of the chamber, deforming, and then while dragging past the neck it is pushed down until enough pressure is leveraged against the rim of the cartridge and it moves upward into the proper position on the bolt face.

This rifle action was originally a .270 Winchester. The diameter base of a .270 Winchester according to my Nosler reloading manual is .473.

The diameter of the base of a 6.5x55 is .479. Is the problem easily remedied by removing approximately .006 from the extractor?

Posts: 44 | Location: Western Kentucky | Registered: 24 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remove the bolt and pull the firing pin assembly. Slip a cartridge case up under the extractor and make sure it will slide fully into position without any excess force. Stone the hook until the cartridge will just slip into position and stay in position while you manipulate the bolt in an attempt to throw the case from the grip of the extractor. The extractor should hold the cartridge for about 8 seconds. Big Grin

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AZ Pete
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kbebout:

This rifle action was originally a .270 Winchester. The diameter base of a .270 Winchester according to my Nosler reloading manual is .473.

The diameter of the base of a 6.5x55 is .479. Is the problem easily remedied by removing approximately .006 from the extractor?

I believe you want to remove apporximately .003" since you are working with the radius vs the diameter.

Follow Malm's advice, and proceede slowly

NRA Patron Life Member

Posts: 309 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Golden Rule: Go slowly. It is easier to remove than to replace.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote