New
Find
Notify
Tools

costs of bolt jeweling
 Login/Join

<thomas purdom>
posted
I really like the looks of bolt jeweling and then I found out it serves a functional purpose as well. I asked on another forum what would be a fair price given the difference in hourly labor costs across the country, for this to be done and it was as if I had attacked something sacred asking such a question. I want it done on a CZ 550 Americain. So, I am asking this forum, what would be fair price to have this process done. I live in New Mexico. Thanks for any help. Tom Purdom

<George Stringer>
posted
Tom, most smiths I know charge a flat fee for bolt jeweling. I charge $50 and I think I'm about average. George

<thomas purdom>
posted
Thank you George. I appreciate it very much.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thomas, the middle of the Brownells catalog (for future reference) has a shop survey listing of various tasks in gun shops. It lists bolt jeweling at $40 to $75. I charge $60. Sorry you got a rough treatment on a simple question. The idea of this place is to share information.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm considering to get my new CZ550 bolt jewelled too, so could you help me to justify the money by explaining the functional benifit?

Cheers

Franz

------------------
Franz A. Holzer

Franz@Holzer.com

Posts: 202 | Location: Vienna/Austria | Registered: 04 October 2001Reply With Quote
<thomas purdom>
posted
I wasn't that people gave me a bad time, they just would not say anything at all, even something like "I don't reveal my shop prices over the internet." and I would have been happy with that. Now, as explained on another part of the post, the reason for jeweling a bolt is funcional as well as visual. The jeweling holds lubrication oil better than an un-jeweled surface. I had no idea! But, it makes sence to me. Tom Purdom

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
If you have a drill press, you can jewell a bolt! You can build a simple jig out of wood to hold the bolt or buy one from Brownells. They also sell a cheap tool and the necessary abrasives. It isn't very difficult to do and takes about an hour. The results are generally extremely good.-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I too, found that jeweling your own bolt is deceptively easy once you have the brushes and a press. There are a few places I can not call off hand on the internet that wil tell you how to set the whole thing up.
If you are afraid to take the chance, just remember you can just polish the whole bolt if you screw up even more than once.

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<atlasmlc>
posted
Thanks for the info. I had no idea that any benefit other than looks could be had from jeweling. I have a winchester that needs to be redone...It looks like it was poorly done at the factory (big surprise). What brushes and other equip do I need?

------------------
Happy Hunting

<Zak>
posted
I haven't done this yet but I got this link on DIY jeweling off this site if I remember right.

http://www.personal.psu.edu/staff/g/s/gsw3/jb/jb.html

Zak

one of us
posted Hide Post
For Bolt & Follower Jeweling, try www.ahlmans.com

$40.00

They are in WI

------------------
Speak softly and carry a really big MAGNUM.

Regards,

Mark

[This message has been edited by PAWildcatter (edited 03-28-2002).]

Posts: 396 | Location: North East Pennsylvania | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The easiest way I've found to jewel is to use the abrasive impregnated rods (like a big pencil eraser with grit in it) from Brownells or others. Chuck in a drill press and jewel away. If worried about how it will look, practice on a small piece of rod or pipe first. Easy and you can brag on it (worth as much as the other benefits)
Good luck
Ed Kay

Posts: 17 | Location: St. Louis, Mo. USA | Registered: 01 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Alleycat>
posted
The jeweling helps to hold oil and smooths the actiom. You will see jeweling on the internal parts of many fine (expensive) guns in areas where the parts can't be seen because of the smoothing and oil holding pluses.

<Alleycat>
posted
Please excuse spelling of above. Did not proof read before hitting send.

one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
I just had a bolt jeweled cost me $35.

------------------
don't cuss farmers and ranchers with your mouth full

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote