THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Left Handed Short Action Rifle w/mod 70 type saftey

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Left Handed Short Action Rifle w/mod 70 type saftey
 Login/Join

<Mike Dettorre>
posted
Looking to build a "semi" custom gun in 30 WSM in a left handed action with mod 70 type saftey.

As far as I know Winchester doesn't make a LH short action.

I was thinking a Rem 700 LH SA and converting it with 3 position model 70 type safety...is this possible.

I would rather not go to the expense of a truly "custom" action.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might try Jim Wisner at jwisner@quik.com or Ed LaPour (360.479.4966) for his safety. They are available, but they d need to be fitted, which is not a job for an amateur.

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might want to wait just a bit before going the custom route. Rumor has it that Winchester is coming out with a left handed short action Featherweight to be chambered in all three WSM's - .300, .270 and .7mm.

Look in www.huntamerica.com

Use the search function, search for "short and left" in the Rifles and Riflesmithing forum.

Topic is "Attn. Lefty's -- Win. to make short action LH featherweight"

Posts: 1027 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
<Mike Dettorre>
posted
Jim,

I would considering waiting but having followed the Gun industry for the past 15 years...one thing I know for certain is that rumors abound and the "gun industry players" might just be the worst in any industry on the face of the planet at predicting availabilty of a product.

posted Hide Post
David Gentry (3-position safety) makes them for LH 700s.
Fitting is required.

Seriously, by the time you've paid off your Christmas bills in January, official word should be out from Winchester IF they plan to produce LH S/A rifles (which will probably be in .270WSM,7mmWSM, and .300WSM).

If the quality is good, I'll probably get one, but don't know which chambering I'd get it in. I have two LH .270Wins. (Rem.700FS,Win. M-70 stainless/walnut), a LH .300Wby. Mk. V, and 3 LH 7mms (1 Rem700 7mmRM, and two M-70 7mmSTWs).

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Mike,

You might want to check the most recent post in the Montana 1999 action thread below wherein Rod Rogers gives the statues on the M99 LH short and long actions.

jim

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"rumors abound and the "gun industry players" might just be the worst in any industry on the face of the planet at predicting availabilty of a product."

Brother, I hear you! After Winchester promised a second run of LH Sporters it was two years before they came through with them. Still, just thought I would mention it if you had not heard about it. [Wink]

Posts: 1027 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
<Ken in VA>
posted
Mike,
I've talked with a rep. at Winchester. He said that the LH SA Model 70 Featherweight is listed in the 2003 catalog and should be available mid-2003.
As mentioned above, you know what the wait was like for the LH Sporter LT 2nd production run.
According to the rep., the rifle will be available in the all three WSM calibers.
Keep your fingers crossed
Ken

<hkr>
posted
I herd Browning is going to get there first shipment of left hand short mags in Feb. The Hunter and Medalion. Pray for that and the 338WSM.

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Winchester/USRAC in the past has done OK -- by gun industry standards anyway -- at releasing new models. However, there may be a large gap between the availability of the first rifles and regular availability. If you want one, order it early!

We saw this first hand when USRAC introduced the LH M70. My wife and I were chatting with Craig Boddington at a Chapter SCI dinner meeting. She and Craig always talk rifles since they are both lefties. Craig told her the LH M70 was coming soon. We ordered her one, and got her rifle in the first bunch. The next time we talked to Craig he said he waited to order a rifle, and didn't get his for over a year until the factory got the second increment shipped to distributors.

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
<hkr>
posted
Who do I need to contact if that is the case. Local gun shop, or Browning to try to get one of the first ones.

one of us
posted Hide Post
One problem you may also consider is converting a Remington short action with it's 2.8 inch magazine to hold the slightly longer 300WSM. If you went the 300SAUM route you would have no trouble, but getting the WSM requires a after market magazine box and some machining to the receiver and bolt stop, and of course the stock.

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote