Find
Notify
Tools

7-mm 08
 Login/Join

<DrDaveAlaska>
posted
Hey out there ...
I have a Rem Model 7 in 7mm-08 and I have a problem. This thing out of the box was a 4+ inch gun at 100 yds. So, I backed off the trigger to 4 lbs, and got it to about a 3 1/2" gun. Then I ground off the forend stock nubs and floated the barrel and got it to about a 3" gun. In frustration, I sent it back to Rem, and they (as near as I could figure) rebarreled it and replaced the bolt (at least it looks different). They also put on a new stock, and the trigger is back up to whatever (my pull scale doesn't go up that high). It came back dirty, so I have to assume that they fired the thing, but they didn't include a target. Now it's a 4+ inch gun again. This is with at least 5 different commercial premium cartriges and countless different hand loads, from a benchrest. I even had different shooters try it out. I have a Leupold VarX II 3-9 scope mounted, and everything is tight and square. I'm about at the end of my already short wits. Does anyone have some experience with this, or some constructive advice? I really don't want to take this thing in and spent $500 to get it to shoot like it should have out of the box!

Thanks!

<Big Stick>
posted
Would swap out your scope. It mighta puked and you haven't realized it.

The M-7's in 7-08 I've owned and played with would all do under an inch,with the tweaks you have mentioned...............

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Dave, I've owned well in excess of forty rifles... the only rifle I've ever owned that wouldn't shoot sub 2moa was a SS M7 in 308 Win that I bought when they first came out. I carefully mounted a 2x7 compact Leupod in Weaver mounts (lapped) on a one piece B-Square base. As per my usual I floated the barrel, bedded the lug area and tuned the trigger... and proceeded to shoot 3.5-5" groups with it (handloads and factory ammo)! I've had half a dozen 308's and knew quite well what a 308 is capable of. Looking over the rifle carefully I noticed when the action screws were tightened the action was being stressed enough that it would cause the bolt to "stick" a bit when travelling back or forward... unbelieveable! It was obviously a fault of the stock so I called Remington and they sent me a new stock... good customer service... so far, ok. I put the action back in the stock... same thing! The action was being stressed... sooo, I bedded the entire action in a manner that the action screws could be tightened without stressing the action. Again, I floated the barrel... 3.5-5" groups... dang! Next I "neutral bedded" the entire barrel... a little better... 3.5-4" groups. Next I bedded the barrel with 8lbs of pressure... hey, presto! consistant 3.5" groups... what a POS. OK, next I sent the entire rifle back to Rem... they sent it back with a note saying it had "failed" the "Gallery Test"... they replaced the receiver... still shot 3.5" groups. Sent it back again... they replaced the barrel. Again, 3" (+) groups! Finally I returned the rifle to them with my bill of sale and they quite rightly refunded my money... an utterly worthless rifle!

BA

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had one of the older ones that I bought second hand. It would shoot very well. Had a timmy trigger. A friend of mine just had to have it for his brother. So I sold it. Long story short - He kept it after shooting it, and his brother never knew [Wink]

<DrDaveAlaska>
posted
Thanks for the help, guys. Brad, I have a bad feeling about this ... I think I'm gonna try a different scope (although I really don't think that it's it), and then go looking for that Bill of Sale. I hope it turns out differently, because I really like this gun. I have a sheep hunt planned - a hunt of a lifetime, and I just have to have more confidence than this!

Dave

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave, I don't know if you have caught onto this, but there have been a few (quite a few, perhaps?) threads in this and other forums complaining about the same thing. I can't tell whether it is fair or not, but the M7 does not have the best name for out of the box accuracy. Strange when you compare it to the M700?? It is a pity, the M7 in 7mm-08 has been on my short-list for years. Sweet as honey as far as I'm concerned. Good luck getting it fixed.
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
DrDave,

This is what I look at when a customer presents a weapon that will not group.

1. Pull the guard screws down tight and then release the tension on the front screw and watch to see if the barrelled action tries to climb out of the stock.

2. Pull the bolt and clean the bore. With a good back light, I would check the condition of and see if there were something visually out of whack in the bore. (practiced eyes come in handy here.) I would then insert an unprimed case in the chamber and peer through the muzzle at the bore. You should see perfectly concentric rings resembling a target at the other end. What I am looking for here, is to make sure that all the rings which surround the center are concentric and not out of whack, which would indicate a bent barrel or one under stress.

2a. If any of the rings appear out of whack, Pull the barrelled action from the stock and have another look. The out of whack appearance of the ring(s) may have been from uneven forend pressure when pulled down tight into the stock.

3. I would look at the bolt handle to make certain that it doesn't contact the stock when in battery.

4. I would look at the bolt nose for any indications of contact between it and the breech end of the barrel.

5. While at the breech end, I would give the headspace a quick check with a no go gauge.

6. I would look at the throat to see if it appeared concentric or off side.

7. I would carefully inspect the crown to make sure that it was clean and square. I am looking to make sure that each and every land and grove is clearly visible and undamaged.

8. I would then check the scope for binding by first pulling the front ring cap off and looking to see if the scope has lifted off the ring cradle. Then I would reassemble it and pull the rear ring cap and inspect that.

Other things like checking trigger repeatability etc., may help narrow the search but is doubtful...

My best guess, based on years of experience with making factory rifles shoot, would be that one or more of the 8 inspection points above will yield troubling results. Perhaps addressing these may help you sort this out...

Good Luck,

Malm

posted Hide Post
DrDave
Hope I'm not stepping on any toes , but do keep in mind that the M7 is a hard rifle to shoot.
I have been doing high power competative shooting for the last 25 years , and gunsmithing for the last 10... and I find the M7 to be one of the most difficult rifles to shoot. They are very handy , but the short and light barrel makes them light in front and you as a shooter must take extra care in trigger pull and recoil uptake...
What you did the first time when you lightened the triggerpull you did not make the presision potential of the gun better , but you made it easier for you to make a correct trigger pull.

Just a thought. But shooting techincs when using this rifle is most important, and yes also from a bench...holding a rifle steady is only half the job!

S

Posts: 24 | Location: USA/Norway | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<DrDaveAlaska>
posted
Fellas, I really appreciate the advice. I have a lot of work to do, and I don't think I'll have the time or patience to do it all before I go on this hunt. I get the feeling that this could end up being my "project" gun, which isn't always a bad thing, but I guess when you spend a bunch of $ on a factory new gun, especially a Remmington, you just expect a better performer than that. Malm, your advice is particularly helpful in that I'm not a professional gunsmith, and the "list" will be most useful in figuring this out. My only problem is I will still have to hire a 'smith to fix it even if I can stumble on the right problem. Now I'm not against that altogether, but I bought this thing on the recommendation of gunwriters, reloading manuals, etc, as a good accurate gun, especially for youth and smaller framed shooters (my son was 12 at the time). This is, as you can guess, a bit frustrating. My hunting buddy thought enough of the caliber that he bought a Weatherby Lightweight (or whatever) in 7mm-08. Took awhile to sort out the right loads, but now shoots 1" groups. Even IT was screwed up out of the box, or so he thought. Is this a good caliber? What do you guys think? I'm beginning to think a plain 'ole .30-06 or .308 is just the ticket ...

Dave

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Doc, my 2x7 scope was not the problem as before it produced moa groups on one rifle and repeated this when replaced on another rifle. I suspect you rifle has a congenital defect of the sort in mine. Another thing to remember is Remington's quality is nothing like it used to be. Personally I like little about the M7/700 except their light weight... everything else in their design is for cheap, quick production. Rem's marketing department turned this reality into a "positive" with their "three rings of steel" BS, etc. It's a cheap n' easy design, pure and simple. That's not altogether bad, but it's no virtue either.

As to the M7 being "hard to shoot"... I'm not sure what that means. I can shoot a sub 8lb 338 WM, 8lb 375 H&H and 6 3/4lb 30-06 into tight groups all day long. The 308 is a pussy cat in any rifle over 6lbs IMO.

BA

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have noticed that Ken Jarrett will not build a rifle on a model 7 receiver.

[ 03-05-2003, 18:41: Message edited by: KevinNY ]

Posts: 1532 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
<Harry>
posted
I am a dyed in the wool '06 fan (own 6 at the moment) but I also own two 7/08's and I would not give up on that cartridge. Just got the 7/08 Win Featherwt but the 7/08 Browning Mod 81 Lever Rifle has a good track record with me and my wife.
You have just hit a bum rifle...sell it and get another.
See what you would think about one in the Stainless Stalker Browning...we have one in 260 Rem and sure like it...can't see why one in 7/08 wouldn't be a dandy too.
All the 7/08 shooters I know that use them on deer and such are plenty happy campers. A number of silhouette shooters use 7/08's too.

posted Hide Post
I have a 7mm/08 chambered Remington Mountain Rifle that Love, Money, Warfare, Dynamite, nothing could part me from. It shoots nice little three shot groups with 130 grain speers, 140 grain Sierra Gamekings and Prohunters, and 140 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips. After three shots, the buggy whip barrel heats up some and the bullets wander a little. I am thinking hard about buying a Tikka in 7mm/08 these days. I love the cartridge.

<chuk>
posted
I'm not a Remington fan, but here is what I would do. If you can get your money back on the rifle replace it with a Remington Titanium 7/08. John Barsness has glowing things to say about this rifle including the fact that the lighter action allows a little beefier barrel for better balance and shootability. He even goes so far as to compare it to a NULA rifle of which he is a big fan.

chuck

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dittoes on that 7mm/08 Rem. Mountain Rifle. I really enjoy mine. Shoots great and carry/balance weight is right on for me. This will be my dedicated deer rifle here in Pennsylvania for the rest of my shooting days. Owned one Model 7 in .223 cal. and it was a tack driver (early model). Wish I had it back. Hope you come to a solution on yours, DrDave.

Posts: 49 | Location: York , PA | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With Quote
<DrDaveAlaska>
posted
Well, it could be awhile before I can make the final determination on this thing, but I have to say that it doesn't look good for keeping it. We just had a wind storm blow thru Anchorage that tore the roof off of the shooting range clubhouse, not to mention destroy several million dollars worth of airplanes at the airport. You know it's bad when they close the tower just before the windows blow out. I guess the last few flights in were memorable. Anyways, based on the posts, you either get a good Model 7 or not. I have a sinking feeling that I'm an "or not". Change scopes, and if that's not it ...

Dave