New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold+Warne+CZ550
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a CZ550 Magnum in 375 H&H equipped with a 1-4x20 Leupold. The scope mount is a Warne QD. I really like this but would like a bigger scope for low light conditions, ie boar-hunting.

I've looked around a bit and really like the new Leupold 30 series. I wanted the 3-9x50 but the tube was to short so I'll probably settle for the 3-9x40 which should be enough scope.

My question is first if Warne QD rings of medium height will give me enough clearance to fit the scope or if I have to get the "high" model.

Second, I'll welcome any other suggestion that you've tried yourself. The limitations are that the scope/mount combination must (of course) fit the rifle, mounts must be QD and last budget. Can't afford Zeiss on this project ...

Posts: 544 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 27 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Wachtel,
Sounds like a great rig you have plans for. I do love those CZ and Leupold combinations.

The CZ 550: Leupold Vari-X II 3X-9X 40mm has an ocular bell that requires 0.300" ring height to clear the bolt handle when cycled.

The Warne Maxima QD low is 0.250", medium is 0.375", and high is 0.525".

I have some old Warne fixed rings that give about 0.420" height and work fine with a Butler Creek scope cap on the ocular bell too. Plenty of clearance with my 3-9X 40 mm Leupold.

I have some Warne Maxima QD low rings and the only scope I can use with them on the CZ 550 is a 2.5X Leupold. This has the smallest ocular bell of all the Leupolds. With a Butler Creek cap on the ocular, I had to sand down the plastic to let the bolt handle slide by without touching.

Bolt clearance of the ocular is the only problem with the CZ and low rings, in my experience.

The medium height Warne Maxima QD lever rings will work with the scope you specify, but might not leave room for the slip on, flip up scope cap.

Edit: Correction to 30 mm tube noted. And I don't know for sure what heights the 30mm rings are, thank you. Maybe the same? And since the 30 mm tubed Euro stocks come with "flip up caps" for objective and ocular bells ... and I don't know the ocular bell diameter for the Euro scope ... so I am not much help here, correction noted below.

[ 08-04-2003, 06:51: Message edited by: DagaRon ]

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Daga, Wachtel is talking about the Leupold 30mm scopes made here for sale in Europe only. I think the medium rings will do, but it might be close.
 -

quote:

A line of scopes designed for the European sporting shooter

EUROPEAN-30 SCOPES ARE NOT SOLD IN THE U.S.A. These products are manufactured for distribution to our international dealers and are not available to Leupold Dealers located in the United States. European-30 scopes are available for sale outside of the U.S.A.

The Leupold� European-30 was designed with the advice of many of our European friends, both customers and representatives, who gave us considerable information on the design and function of the ideal scope for the European sporting shooter. We were told:

�Make it with a 30mm maintube. The 30mm maintube has long been the standard size in European scopes.�

�Mid-range magnification. After all, we don�t have the wide open spaces like your Wyoming or Montana in Europe.�

�Hunting into the evening is very popular here, so make the eyepiece easy to adjust and make sure it offers good light transmission.�

�Make the adjustments metric; we don�t ordinarily think in yards and inches here.�

From there, we were off to the drawing board.

The result? Nothing less than you would expect from any scope bearing the name Leupold. Five models, from a fast action 1.25-4x20mm model to a longer distance capable 4-12x40mm model, as well as a perennial favorite, the 3-9x50mm. All with 30mm maintubes, all with multicoated ocular and objective lenses, all waterproof, and all 100% Leupold.

In addition, each magnification model is offered with a choice of two reticles, the original Leupold Duplex� and the classic German #4. The weight of each model has been kept as low as possible while not compromising quality. We also added a fast focus eyepiece to each model and finished them all in a durable, attractive matte finish.

Leupold has long prided itself on listening to our customers and responding to their expressed ideas. We think we have created the ideal scope for the European sporting shooter in the Leupold European-30.

European-30 Highlights
� Patented Multicoat 4� coating and high-quality lenses increase the brightness and brilliance to a maximum
� Absolute recoil resistance even with large-scale calibres and repeatable accuracy
� Highly rugged design, absolutely watertight and dustproof
� Centered reticle with constant post thickness over the complete magnification range, least possible target coverage, German Reticle No. 4 or Duplex
� 30mm diameter of the maintube
� Windage and elevation adjustments according to the metric system, 1 click = 1 cm to 100 m
� Expansive field of view and long eye relief
� Compact, elegant design, matte finish
� Easy flip-up lens caps

European-30 is available in the following models:
European-30 1.25-4x20mm
European-30 2-7x33mm
European-30 3-9x40mm
European-30 3-9x50mm
European-30 4-12x40mm

[ 08-03-2003, 23:22: Message edited by: Orion 1 ]

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Orion 1,
Thanks for the correction. I overlooked the 30 mm tube part. As far as I know the Warne Maxima rings in 30mm have the same heights as the 1" rings. But then I don't know for sure.

If the ocular bell is any bigger than the 1" tubed version, it might be better to go with the highs.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wow, I didn't know these were available. What is the eye relief and the cost of the 2x7?

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your input!

The mounts I have now (with the 1-4x20) is part# 1BLM. The distance between the bolt handle and the ocular bell is at least 3mm.

I will buy 14BLM (medium) or 15BLM (high) for the new scope. Maybe it's better to play it safe and buy the higher ones? I'll see if my local gun-shop can order both so I could try them on the rifle.

I must say I was impressed with the scope. Sharp image, almost no "tunnel effect", good eye-relief, not to bulky and all for a reasonable price.

Posts: 544 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 27 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey1:
wow, I didn't know these were available. What is the eye relief and the cost of the 2x7?

You'll have to ask someone in Europe. Leupold's website has no more information on them besides what I posted.

I truly don't understand why Leupold doesn't make the Euro 30s available to any dealer in the USA that would sell them. [Confused]

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote