New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser action with dovetail in front ring
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
how much does a dovetail cut weaken a Mauser action? Can that front ring be filled, contoured and be hardened? would you do that to save a kurz action from oblivion?

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Dovetailed front rings, in other than square bridge Mausers, never gave me the warm fuzzies.

As much as I'd like a real Kurz, I would not try to salvage one. I'm sure some feel otherwise.

I've seen a few that had the dovetail filled with a dovetailed plug. Most were hidden with some stippling. If I were to try and salvage one, that would be the approach I would take or, better yet, replace it with a base for claw mounts if it doesn't already have one. I would not try to weld one up. I'm sure others will. That's between them and their insurance companies.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
If all your trying to do is "save it from oblivion", does it still have the original dovetail in it? Use that for some very expensive claw mounts and barrel it for a .250 Savage. It ought to hold together quite well.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm - some of the Mauser Model B rifles were factory dovetailed into the 1930's, well after the issues with the Kar small ring large shank issues would have started to arise I think.

There are quite a few pictures of these on the 'net and I was a little skeptical that they would have been "factory" till I lucked onto a kurz in 250 that still has the original base numbered to the action.

For all that there are an equal number of pictures of factory Mauser rifles with a front saddle added to take the dovetail !! For myself I don't think I would use a dovetailed receiver ring action for a large base high intensity cartridge.

Finally not all dovetail cuts are created equally and some have been reported right through the receiver ring into the locking lug/barrel shank area, I'd not be cambering one of these in anything !!

Cheers - Foster

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote