Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is My Rem 700 Bolt Ruined??
 Login/Join

posted
Just built a nice Rem. 700 Varmit gun. Chambered it in 6mm BR. Barrel is stainless and I decided to finish the action, bolt and trigger guard in KG Industries stainless bake-on finish. When I baked the parts, my bolt turned a very light shade of gold. Obviously it got hotter than the 350 Deg. my thermometor was showing. The mating surfaces on the recoil lugs didn't change color at all. Is the bolt ruined? I've done many refinish jobs using the exact same oven and thermometer I used this time. The only thing I did any different was setting the bolt body on a very large brass bolt while baking. I re-jewelled the bolt so the only parts that had the new finish were the front and rear. Other than that I did everthing the same as I always do. It just bareley started to get the gold tone on it. Looks kinda cool actually, but I don't want to have to worry about my new gun blowing up because of it. Any advice??

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have baked several 700's at 415-425 degrees using the Sandstrom moly finish (after parkerizing). Never had a problem.
Just to be safe, take your mother in law out target shooting.

lawndart

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could have a machine shop test the heat treat on the lugs if you like. It should be 28 rockwell on the C scale. I don't think you hurt it. But heat is not good on the thin bent wire extractor Remington uses

Posts: 225 | Location: AZ | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote