Find
Notify
Tools

Tapered Octagon Barrels
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted
Assuming a quality maker, do the tapered octagonal barrels shoot as well as other sporting weight barrels? Are they more likely to benefit from cryo treating?

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been machining them for 30 years and they shoot just fine. I use them on almost all the sporting rifles I build with no problems.

one of us
posted Hide Post
i have three, one john pell made me for my 375 and one dan lilja made me for my 270 and one was made by story machine in 257 roerts that i still have to stock.two of them shoot great and are easy to clean. i am contemplating another one for a 257 weatherby that i want to build for myself. besides they just look classy. to be truthful they are hard to sell as most of my customers don't want to spend the extra for the machine work.

Posts: 128 | Location: southeastern pa | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the positive responses. I have always liked the look and have a project that cries out for that style.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Mark is known throughout the industry for his metal work, and octagonal barrels are a specialty of his.

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Mark.

Its good to see you here, I welcome you to this forum.

Jim Wisner
Custom Metalsmith

Posts: 1484 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys,

Worthing ask to show some tooling the other day and I'm still here. Thanks for the welcome. Can't figure how to logoff? just kidding..

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark,
You can't logoff. Once you've been pulled into the dark side you can never leave. Welcome. It's great having people of your knowledge and skill aboard.

Jeff

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Welcome to AR Mark.....

Good to see you here.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You guys need to get Mark to post some pictures of the custom scope bases he builds. They are truly fine!

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote