New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rebarrel to .270?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I don't want to make a habit of this, but I saw another nice rifle today.

Interestingly, it was at the local shop. I don't hang around much, as I'm offended by the prices they charge for powder, but I went in to pick up an '09.

Talk about ugly.

Some tyro had apparently spray painted the receiver and bottom metal. Didn't like the in-the-white receiver I guess.

Anyway, once you got over the Earl Scheib job, it looked like it had potential, so I glommed on to it. Couldn't take it apart to look for rust below the woodline, but everything else told me it was a nice '09.

For someone who values these things.

For whatever the reason, got to talking with the owner, and he brought out a nice custom rifle for me to see.

S. Billeb, he shows me.

Tried to explain the egg shell texture blue on the barrel, but I knew what it was. Bead blasted cold rust blue.

I didn't expect he would try to sell it to me, as he saw my vintage '81 Wabbit outside. (If you haven't met me already, let me just say I'm not in the same tax bracket as most of the posters here. LOL.)

"The stock cost $2,500," he said, with awe in his voice.

"$2,500 plus a blank is cheap," I said. "Probably another couple of grand now."

It's a pre-64 with an English walnut--correct grain flow--American classic stock, Shilen .257 Rob AI barrel.

He wants to have it re-chambered to .270.

Ouch.

So it will sell for more.

Whatever.

Mine is a very sophisticated town, second home to movie stars, universities and theatre and the like, glamourous you might say, but not necessarily guns sophisticated.

I'd guess the .257 Rob AI plays to mixed reviews--or would on this forum--but it sure seemed like a swell rifle just the way it was.

Steve Billeb is a Guild member.

Oh well.

flaco

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check http://www.hunterbid.com to check lumber for gunstocks some really beautiful turkish walnut.