Find
Notify
Tools

removing red loctited bases???
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted
my first rifle I got about 20yrs ago, the guy at the gun shop put the scope bases on with red loctite, the screws are in so tight that I worry about stripping out the screw or breaking the allen wrench. what is the best way to get these out??

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Take it out of the stock so you don't incinerate anything and warm the base with a propane torch.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Someone told me a Hair Dryer or heat gun because there is no flame.

Posts: 1461 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesA good bit of heat properly applied and if necessary a drop or two of Kroil while cooling. May take more than one application. waveroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
I make a sacrificial screw driver, it looks like a screw driver but its really just a heat transfer tool. Seat the fake screw driver in the screw slot and then heat the shank to red hot. It will convay the heat into the screw but you don't have to wrry about over heating anything else. When the lock tight bubbles put a real screw driver on the scew and it will come right out.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use an old fashioned plumber's soldering iron. The thing gets hot enough to tin copper pipe, but has a sharp pointed tip. I just let the tip sit on the screw head for about two minutes and the screw comes right out with little effort. FWIW, it also works real good on bases that are epoxied. Don't ask how I know that one.
I would imagine that a regular soldering iron would work just as well.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would imagine that a regular soldering iron would work just as well.
Paul B.

Loctite melts at about 400°F so a soldering iron should be great.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like to grind a screwdriver edge on a soldering iron, place that in the screw slot while the iron is chucked into a drillpress, and I heat the base with the screw with a torch or a heat gun after soaking the area with the screw in Kroil and before I did that I put a proper-sized screwdriver in the slot and rapped it with a hammer and tried drilling the screw out.
sofa

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rusty Marlin ; Has the right Idea as the fake screw driver directs the heat too the screw it's self . There is a solvent combination that will dissolve that adhesive . The trick is getting it on the threads !. Heat is a better way to go . ...

salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote