New
Find
Notify
Tools

Maybe we should start keeping track?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just happened to notice that just on this one page we have instances of a Winchester 70 with extraction problems, a Winchester 70 with safety problems, and a Winchester 70 with trigger pin problems?????????

I thought only Remington’s had these kinds of things happen. bewildered

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Rick,Rick, Rick, we're not not trolling today are we? roflmao

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
Rick,Rick, Rick, we're not not trolling today are we? roflmao

Terry

Terry,

Well...maybe just a little bit! Smiler

I just thought it was sort of funny/ironic...whatever, that so many problems with 70’s showed up almost one right after the other.

Before this gets too out of control let me state for the record that I feel that pre-64 and classic Winchester 70’s are one of the finest rifles ever made, and I don’t think there is anything at all wrong with their design.

The newer ones suffer from the exact same problems that all new mass produced factory rifles suffer from (including Remington’s)...lack of quality control and workers that are not craftsmen.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
my 2 cents
pre 64 first one i saw i thought tat is a nice lookin mauser.
The shop keeper smiled and said it a winchester?
I have a model 70xtr in 25/06 purchased used. could not get it to shoot took it to a gunsmith , had it there two times and he said there was not any thing wrong with it!!!!
After several years I removed it from the stock and found a blown primer and the trigger pin was part way out. some gunsmith,
But the biggest thing I found was a ridge running down the middle of the barrel channel,
That the barrel was ridding on removed the ridge and bedded the action and shoots great.
I had to have one of those black rifles so last year I looked at win, rem, and some others decided on the mod70 black shadow. Looked it over for fit and function and carried it home its chambered in 270 shoots two rounds in the same hole third round will be 3" away let it cool and start again, crappiest stock I ever seen.
And the bolt on the end by the lugs look like the just rough groung it and let it go.
Ok I did my part to bash the winchester.
Out side of that I like the was they feel.
Oh, I have a lot of time invested polishing the action in the to7o and the bolt is smooth and feeds pretty good now????

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
If a Model 70 has such problems, at least they can readily be fixed.

But a Model 700 will always be a Model 700.....

AD

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh, wait a minute...I think I just felt a little tug on my line! Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rick, let em swallow it deep before you set the hook.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I think a percentage of all the "price line" rifles are going to have some problems. I personally have seen at least one QC problem on every brand readily available.

For the sake of conversation, let's say 1 out of 50 leaves the factory with a boo-boo of some kind. Maybe the once a year shooter guy isn't going to notice, say anything about it, or know the difference. Maybe to him, 4 inch groups at 100 yards is okay. Maybe his reaction to not extracting/ejecting all the time is "yeah, it does that sometimes".

But virtually everybody that spends time on this forum takes such shit real seriously! I've I get just one function burp; as in a failure to feed or eject, the matter gets some serious attention. It gets properly diagnosed and fixed or that gun goes down the road.

I suspect us A-R hacks are a tough crowd when it comes to firearms. We are to firearms what a bunch of 300+ pounders are when sizing up a buffet offering.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
Its odd to note that the in days before of custom made actions the Remington 700 was the preferred action for bench rest rifles. To this day most custom made actions are designed around the Remington triggers. Also if you check your Brownells catalogue you will find more after market parts for the 700 than any other currently made bolt action. Rod Henrickson

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are VERY few rifles that come from today's makers as troublefree as one would expect, this includes Dakota and other pricey brands as well as Winchester, etc. I have had fewer mechanical glitches with P-64 Mod. 70s than anything else, including Mannlicher-Schoenauers, Brnos, FNs and Husqvarnas; this is why I have always liked these rifles for really rough use and consider them to be a wise choice for anyone who wants quality at a reasonable cost.

It seems to me that any rifle/action that has a huge number of after-market add-ons available for it was not designed/built properly in the first place. A really good rifle, like a P-64, FN or FN Browning LE, old Brno or Husqvarna will work well out of the box and keep working for decades with minimal maintenance......that, to me is what a hunting rifle should do.

Posts: 1379 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Yes a Model 700 is a Model 700...

The standard action for police snipers and military snipers.

An action of which I have owned 8 of and fired about 7500 hundred rounds through...in various conditions and never had a failure to feed, fire, eject, or extract...

But of course...it is just a piece of junk...

But then again some people measure the quality of something by how much they pay for it and not how it perfroms...

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In browsing through my Brownell‘s and Midway catalogs I seem to find allot of aftermarket parts for just about all bolt action rifles...not just Remington’s. I believe that the Ruger 10/22 auto leads ALL rifles in the number of after market parts made for it.

Redesigned safeties, triggers, bottom metal, firing pins, magazine boxes, followers, floor plate release buttons and levers, bolt handles, ejectors...and all claiming to be “improvements†over the factor designed parts they are meant to replace.

It is, IMHO, ridiculous to compare the functioning and accuracy of factory rifles with custom built rifles that have had major work done on them.

That’s like saying that because a Chevy won the last Daytona 500 that a stock Chevy is better than a stock Ford, or any other car as it comes from the fcatory.

I assume from comments made on here that he only uses Winchester 70’s for his rifles, but I would bet that a man with the talent of D’Arcy Echols could build a rifle using a friggin Blaser action that would shoot and function right along side any rifle around.

Every issue of Precision Shooting has recent matches listed one the back pages. They show the caliber, action type, barrel, stock and scope used by each competitor.

Nowadays the custom actions dominate the field but if you count the factory actions Remington leads by a mile, with Sako being a distant second, Winchester a very, very, very distant third, and a couple of Savages every now and then just to piss people off! Smiler

I’ve never hunted in Africa so I can’t comment on what type action dominates in that area, but I believe that in the contiguous USA you will find more Remingtons in the hands of hunters than any other brand.

What all of this means is up to each person to decide I guess.

I have several Remington 700’s (not factory built) along with several 1903’s, and couple of Enfields and Krags...and all of them work just fine. They don’t jam, they all feed quite nicely, and if I do my part they put the bullet reasonably close to where I thought I was aiming when I pulled the trigger...excuse me...when I “squeezed†the trigger! Smiler

I love all my rifles and wouldn’y part with any of them. If I ever choose to add a Winchester 70 into the brood I’m sure I’ll love that one also.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
hivelocity

I hear ya. My 300 Winnie Supergrade 70 classic had that same ridge running down the middle of the barrel channel. that gun would shoot the first couple of rounds into at least an inch and a half and sometimes better, and then the next rounds would be all over the place. I got rid of that ridge, lightened the trigger pull, and had the creep taken out of the trigger and now it shoots just fine and probably better than I am capable of shooting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick 0311:
... If I ever choose to add a Winchester 70 into the brood I’m sure I’ll love that one also.
You been working with your helmet off?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
quote:
Originally posted by Rick 0311:
... If I ever choose to add a Winchester 70 into the brood I’m sure I’ll love that one also.
You been working with your helmet off?

I have been accused of doing too many turn-overs without a helmet many times! Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
I knew there had to be something to explain that M70 comment. Big Grin
---

I don't think Jarrod is on the ball any more, no bolt handle Reports.

All mine are still on as of noon.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote