New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fixed Sights/Win. Mod. 70
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
As I am not much of a gunsmith, would like opinions/suggestions on repairing or replacing the fixed sights on my Mod. 70. Frankly, they are crap. The front sight had to be moved "way off" center and the rear had to be shimmed up on one side, compounded by the screw holes are not in alignment. Have not been to a good gunsmith with it, but am I thinking right that I should scrap the Win. sights and install something else? (These sights would only be used in the case of scope failure or removal for DG followup).

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" - Emerson

Posts: 106 | Location: Rockwall, Texas | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like it's not the sights per se, it's the installation. The factory seems to screw up a lot of them.

On my Safari Express, the front sight was close to 11:00 instead of straight up 12 o'clock. To get it to be right, the front site would have been hanging half way out of the dovetail on the base.

A good smith can re-install them right (drill and tap the barrel in the proper place) or install new and better sights.

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Most factory sights are crap. If you are going to use the rifle for hunting, some really good iron sights are a joy to use on short shots and even preferable to an overpowered scope.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote