New
Find
Notify
Tools

6mm Remington
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does the 6mm Remington use a short action or long? Im looking to rebarrel one of my rifles to make one of these and i need to know what length action i need. thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 6mm Remington uses the short M700 action. It will work equally well in the long action since it is one of those cartridges that is right on the borderline between being too long for a short action and too short for a long action. If you load with the long heavy bullets seated to a length that is longer than the short action magazine you may not be able to eject a loaded round without removing the bolt. Loaded to magazine length there will be no problems.

ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
so i can use a long action to build my rifle?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't see why not. Just do one thing first. Get a couple of 6mm cartridges and make sure they will feed properly. Not knowing what the rails were originally set up for I can't say that feeding would be flawless. For example, if the long action was set up for the 7mm Rem Mag it may not feed a 6mm Rem. However, if it was set up for a 30-06 it will probably work fine. You will have some wasted magazine space but that can be to your advantage since it will allow you to seat bullets out to longer OAL which is a good thing.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
right now it is a .270 win so it should be fine if the 30-06 woulf work. thanks

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RemLover:
Does the 6mm Remington use a short action or long? Im looking to rebarrel one of my rifles to make one of these and i need to know what length action i need. thanks

Cheechako is correct - if I were building one on a bolt action (actually, if I were building a rifle for ANY of the Mauser-type cartridges with the basic 57mm case length, 6mm Rem, .257 Roberts, 6.5X57mm, 7X57, etc.), I'd use an action at least as long as the M98 Mauser.

This permits you to use all of the space inside the case to hold powder rather than the back end of a bullet! You CAN use short actions for such rounds, but these impose limitations I prefer to avoid.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not sure why firearms manufacturers build their rifles with such long throats. Every .22-250, .222, and .223 I've owned (Remington, Ruger, Savage, Winchester) had long throats. The end result with all but one was that the most accurate load was too long to function through the magazine. But, a 2-shooter isn't all that bad.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had long throated rifles that work extremly well. You have to have a magazine that will allow you to load out near the lands. My 7X57 mauser has a loooong throat. My loads with 140 grain bullets barly have any bullet in the case. I take advantage of the powder space and get suprising velocity. And the accuracy with the 140s is plenty good, while with the 160s it is amazing. ...tj3006

freedom1st