New
Find
Notify
Tools

l-579 bolt comes out when pulling bolt back
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
can the little gizmo on the side which you push when you want to remove the bolt be replaced. the spring seems to be loose so the little prong doesn't engage when pulling the bolt back. sorry I don't have a bewtter explanation

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the spring in the bolt stop is broken, out of place, or missing. There are very few sources of parts for 50 year-old Sakos, but a spring is a spring and any competent gunsmith should be able to make or adapt one.

It is also possible that some foreign matter is gumming up the spring or ejector, so disassembly and cleaning might solve the problem. The bolt stop is held on by two screws just below the wood line and is simple to remove.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Sounds like the spring in the bolt stop is broken, out of place, or missing. There are very few sources of parts for 50 year-old Sakos, but a spring is a spring and any competent gunsmith should be able to make or adapt one.

That was fairly common with them in Australia and I suppose the big volume of shooting done here and especially when those rifles were around.

I agree with you on being able to get a spring made.

On a per capita or per shooter basis Sakos seem to have been and are more common in Australia than America. My guess is price would be a factor because we are paying costs associated with importing on all rifles so a Sako is cheaper here compared to other rifles than would be the case in America.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by poppycarroll:
can the little gizmo on the side which you push when you want to remove the bolt be replaced. the spring seems to be loose so the little prong doesn't engage when pulling the bolt back. sorry I don't have a bewtter explanation

Look at Numrich? tu2

Posts: 2359 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
On a per capita or per shooter basis Sakos seem to have been and are more common in Australia than America.

I don't know of any reliable statistics, but Sakos are certainly a popular item in Australia. A lot of them have been re-exported to Australia from the U.S.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's a "kink" for ya.....(edit: for the internal lever spring).

I vaguely recall, a few years back, that someone used a portion of the wire, of a small bass fishing spinner bait......to reform to fit.

It worked quite well.

Hope this helps.

BTW.....in the old days.....this would be a perfect excuse for me to visit/troll my local Gibson's hunting/fishing department. Good times.....

Kevin

Posts: 412 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check the bolt guide that is able to rotate around to the ejector side. This will allow the bolt to come out as you have stated. A customer of mine was using a Sako on a bear hunt in Alaska and he shot the bear and then pulled the bolt back to eject the case and the bolt out going into a snow back. He had removed the bolt and didn;t replace it on to the correct side of the bolt. I don't remember ever seeing a spring broken in a Sako.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LesBrooks:
Check the bolt guide that is able to rotate around to the ejector side. This will allow the bolt to come out as you have stated. A customer of mine was using a Sako on a bear hunt in Alaska and he shot the bear and then pulled the bolt back to eject the case and the bolt out going into a snow back. He had removed the bolt and didn;t replace it on to the correct side of the bolt. I don't remember ever seeing a spring broken in a Sako.

Yes, in theory that could happen. It never occurred to me that someone could be so addled as to insert the bolt with the guide on the LH side, but we are a highly variable species.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks guys. that is exactly what happened.bolt guide on wrong side.how dumb can you get?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice "catch" Les.

Silly me......actually thinking the spring was broken....on my favorite....an old Sako.

OTOH.....I now seem to recall this same thing happening before....a couple of years ago.

Kevin

Posts: 412 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote