one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted
Thanks Ron this works great

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those annular cutters are the cats meow.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Do you have a picture of the cutter not in "action"?

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
Look here Ted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ruv66jA4TVI

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are some trepans / annular cutters. They cut and ream the OD but they leave a core behind them. What they are really intended to do is to cut great big holes with minimal power and stock removal. This speeds up the time taken to cut the hole. It does nothing for cutter life. The cutter edges still remove the same amount of material as they would if the cutter was full diameter.

trepans by Rod Henrickson, on Flickr

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well Duane, the ultimate goal is to have the annular cutter leave a nice, pretty, 5/16th diameter stub so that you can thread it and screw on one of those ugly, kidney pokin, knuckle bustin, stickin out longer than a donkeys dong, Kombat Wombat or Wombat Wallaby bolt handles.

OH MY ! Did I just say that? Yes I did. But I'm a bit of a whore and I'll do almost anything for money.

popcorn

Rod Henrickson

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by speerchucker30x378:
Well Duane, the ultimate goal is to have the annular cutter leave a nice, pretty, 5/16th diameter stub so that you can thread it and screw on one of those ugly, kidney pokin, knuckle bustin, stickin out longer than a donkeys dong, Kombat Wombat or Wombat Wallaby bolt handles.

OH MY ! Did I just say that? Yes I did. But I'm a bit of a whore and I'll do almost anything for money.

popcorn

Well at least you explained it so that even us colonials can understand it tu2

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4207 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my guy just uses a hacksaw...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yer a mighty polite feller Duane. lol

This is the sort of abortion to-whit I speak.

bolt knobs by Rod Henrickson, on Flickr

Bolt Knob by Rod Henrickson, on Flickr

Rod Henrickson

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yer a mighty polite feller Duane. lol

This is the sort of abortion to-whit I speak.

bolt knobs by Rod Henrickson, on Flickr

Bolt Knob by Rod Henrickson, on Flickr

Are those adult toys ? Big Grin

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4207 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I guess in some countries they are 458Win. They don't vibrate, twirl or buzz. But for an extra $300 dollars I suppose . . . . . . . . . . .

popcorn

ADD NOTE: It wouldn't surprise me to find something mighty similar in Darth Vaders night stand. LOL

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here are some trepans / annular cutters. They cut and ream the OD but they leave a core behind them. What they are really intended to do is to cut great big holes with minimal power and stock removal. This speeds up the time taken to cut the hole. It does nothing for cutter life. The cutter edges still remove the same amount of material as they would if the cutter was full diameter.

trepans by Rod Henrickson, on Flickr

Just to leave a .312 post?

I suppose it's a time saver of sorts

I can profile an O.D. post with any end mill on my box's without any fuss

I can't forget my Texas Instruments scientific goesintameter/multafractometer

I wear out those bad boys

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wish I had a CNC Ted. Then I would do the same. Mind you the setup would take the same amount of time and the actual cutting time wouldn't be much different. I resharpen the annular cutters on the Cuttermaster so it wouldn't be much of a tooling saving either.

Could do a 50 point bolt hole pattern around it with the DRO. Or make a super expensive jig and do them in the rotary table. Now I'm just gettin STUPID! LMAO ROFF

Yah tends to make the best with whats yah gots. lol

Rod Henrickson

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I thread the 5/16 shank that is left by the cutter with a setup I made that allows me the thread the stub in the mill while in the same setup before anything is moved (except up and down) to change tools ensuring precise alignment.

BTW the jig is home made. Cool

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wish I had a CNC Ted. Then I would do the same. Mind you the setup would take the same amount of time and the actual cutting time wouldn't be much different. I resharpen the annular cutters on the Cuttermaster so it wouldn't be much of a tooling saving either.

Could do a 50 point bolt hole pattern around it with the DRO. Or make a super expensive jig and do them in the rotary table. Now I'm just gettin STUPID! LMAO ROFF

Yah tends to make the best with whats yah gots. lol

16 points using cosine and tangent for a very fast simple O.D.

No CNC

I'm old school and still use a calculator, paper and pen

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I use a simple method for milling angles without moving my vise that uses your DRO, calculator and paper...see the paper for 15° stepover

It's big scallops but I was in a hurry

No CNC and it is very fast with 28 or 30 years of practice

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The old, find your angles and divide the opposite and hypotenuse by ten. That's cheatererering Ted.

I don't care what you say though. No self respecting mouse is going to poke his nose into that thingy ! ! !

coffee

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
I thread the 5/16 shank that is left by the cutter with a setup I made that allows me the thread the stub in the mill while in the same setup before anything is moved (except up and down) to change tools ensuring precise alignment.

This is a video I made of one I did. I suspect I thread them the same way you do. I just use V blocks and that way I can set it to any angle I want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ruv66jA4TVI

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You guys would laugh to see how I do it; using my bio-mechanical controlled milling machine; set the bolt so the handle is pointed, up. Mill a box that is .312 across. Mill the corners off. Thread it with a die and stock. Never had a handle come off yet. BTW, most 700 bolt handles have a big casting bubble inside them anyway.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Speer, I think Doug was thanking you but he called you Ron.

Posts: 640 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
familiar

Posts: 6491 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
You guys would laugh to see how I do it; using my bio-mechanical controlled milling machine; set the bolt so the handle is pointed, up. Mill a box that is .312 across. Mill the corners off. Thread it with a die and stock. Never had a handle come off yet. BTW, most 700 bolt handles have a big casting bubble inside them anyway.

No one has told you the TOP SECRET, DOUBLE PROBATION trick for those yet dpcd?

Oh I shouldn't say, but I'm such a tattle tale! Get out your oxy-acetylyne torch and fill the void with extra hard, silver solder. Then thread as normal. I have had some REALLY BAD ones. Never had a problem with them or had one break after silver soldering. It's not as strong as steel. But its stronger than putting a .100 diameter screw in it like some do.

Ssshhhuusshhhh. Don't be tellin no one!

shame

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been looking at annular cutters on-line and can find no mention of the hole dia. What size cutter has the .312 hole?
I have a fixture that I use in my lathe. Sometimes when the lathe is tied up it would be convenient to use the mill.

(You can't fix stupid)
Falls of Rough Ky University
Our victory cry is FORK U!

Posts: 218 | Location: Falls of Rough, KY | Registered: 29 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think both the Milwaukee and Noresman 5/8ths cutters have a 5/16th hole. I always double check them at the suppliers when I buy them. Some of the other cutters may have them as well. Be sure to measure before you buy, because the makers are concerned with the OD and not the ID when they make them.

coffee

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

By the way, you don't have to put on one of the great big knobs (Compensating?). I really do not like the Remington bolt knob. On my guns I make a knob about the size and shape of N M70 and install it. It is much more comfortable and faster to operate.

(You can't fix stupid)
Falls of Rough Ky University
Our victory cry is FORK U!

Posts: 218 | Location: Falls of Rough, KY | Registered: 29 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually, I have to put on exactly what the customer wants roughone. I have never altered a bolt handle on one of my personal firearms. In fact, I seldom alter anything on my own stuff other than to put Williams peeps on my rack and pinion guns and decelorator pads on everything to get the LOP to 14 inch. I seem to be extremely coordinated and bendy. I just seem to fit everything and as long as my nose doesn't hit my thumb or the scope cracks me in the head I'm good to go. LOL

Rod Henrickson

one of us
posted Hide Post
To heck with bolt knobs. I feel better that I'm not the only guy who draws a triangle to do trig calculations.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh, I'm sure Ted just drew that so that we would understand what he was talking about!

he he he he he he he he he

lol

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing to add to this thread except every time I click on a YouTube link and then return to the forum all I get is names and blank spaces where the conversation is! I log out and back on and everything is NORMAL,WTF??? Good stuff here I learn alot and appreciate all the talented folks here sharing their knowledge and experience. Thanks to all!! Bill

Posts: 117 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 19 April 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:

Good looking work sir. I'll bet that makes it fast.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I do it the same way except after I mill it square and leave it oversize a bit, I mount my boring head, turn the bar around and "turn" it to size, then thread.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
quote:

I do it the same way except after I mill it square and leave it oversize a bit, I mount my boring head, turn the bar around and "turn" it to size, then thread.

If you have gone to the trouble of cutting it square with an end mill then you are only a couple strokes of the calculator away from finished. This without adding the boring head operation.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm beginning to understand why I started just finding the center of the handle with a coax. Driving the trepan/annular cutter down on it and then power cutting the threads with a die.

faint LOL

Rod Henrickson