New
Find
Notify
Tools

Removing metal finish SMLE
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can anyone recommend a product to remove the finish the brits use on their Enfields? I have got the number 4 rebarreled but would like to finish the action with the same blue as the barrel. It looks like parkerizing. I tried Brownells Steel White but it won't touch it.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1511 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Draw filing with a mill bastard will work, as will wet & dry paper wrapped around a sanding block.

Posts: 715 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You have a Number 4, not a Mark 4.
Most of them are blued, many are painted, and some are parkerized. You can blue over the parkerizing. If it is gray and sand blasted, it is.
You can't file all over the receiver; too many nooks and crannies. I would abrasive blast it, or if it is a uniform finish, blue over it. Or as started, use abrasive paper on it. Many ways to do it. Use a belt sander for the areas you can reach.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted 28 May 2018 18:44 Hide Post
You have a Number 4, not a Mark 4.

dpcd I knew that Whistling It looks like parkerizing . Forgot to add its a Longbranch if that makes any difference. I can never get the marks and numbers straight

NRA life member
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1511 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Long Branch #4s are blued, originally.
You can blue over parkerizing as is.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd recommend a 10 minute boil/steam, wire brush, de-grease and rust blue over all. British Formula. It will all blend together.

www.rustblue.com

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I Bead blast and hot blue them. Most No4Mk1's were hot blued from the factory, later No4Mk2's were phosphated and painted in Suncorite paint. Also many were treated like this in FTR (Factory Thorough Refurbish) programs after 1945

Posts: 6 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 02 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, do what Bobster said. With his blue solution.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bobster
I will give your recommendation a try. I don't hot blue anymore so a steam bath sounds like a good solution.
Thanks

NRA life member
NRA Golden Eagles member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why? The gun is what it is. It won't be original. Let it be as it is.

If it is a Lend Lease rather than a pre-Lend Lease Savage (or a Long Branch) it'll look wrong if it is blued. From memory...long time since I've been around any sort of Enfield as these were phosphated. In fact I've seen some of these North American rifles, U.S. Property marked, made by Savage, that were almost green. If it is a BSA or Fazackerley made No4 it'll be chemically blacked I'd think.

I haven't handled an Enfield, any sort, for near ten years plus now.

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Long Branch are blued. His was refinished at some point in phosphate. He can't hurt it if he wants blue. It isn't original now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just for information it was not in original condition it had been cut down. I salvaged the receiver for a rebarrel. Yes it has a phosphate finish but will try the rust blue and see how that goes.

NRA life member
NRA Golden Eagles member

One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enfieldspares:
Why? The gun is what it is. It won't be original. Let it be as it is.

If it is a Lend Lease rather than a pre-Lend Lease Savage (or a Long Branch) it'll look wrong if it is blued. From memory...long time since I've been around any sort of Enfield as these were phosphated. In fact I've seen some of these North American rifles, U.S. Property marked, made by Savage, that were almost green. If it is a BSA or Fazackerley made No4 it'll be chemically blacked I'd think.

I haven't handled an Enfield, any sort, for near ten years plus now.

He is making it into a 45-70

Posts: 765 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aha. Do you think it will feed? I think there are Brit versions of a blown out .303 cartridge that might work better? Some sort of .375" from memory? The .375 Nitro Express. 270 grain bullet at 1,900 fps. Better than a standard pressure losded .45-70 and probably feed better too? It was what it was designed for...

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enfieldspares:
Aha. Do you think it will feed? I think there are Brit versions of a blown out .303 cartridge that might work better? Some sort of .375" from memory? The .375 Nitro Express. 270 grain bullet at 1,900 fps. Better than a standard pressure losded .45-70 and probably feed better too? It was what it was designed for...

It will feed perfectly the only hitch is getting the magazine feed lips right so the cartridge will come out at the correct angle I have turned the case rim to .550 from as I remember off the top of my head .605 on the 45-70. This is the third one I have made and all shoot great. I don't cut up original guns just those that have been sporterized and are not worth rebuilding back.

NRA life member
NRA Golden Eagles member