THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1903 Springfield Safety Options - 3 Pos?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is there a 3-position or 2-position win70 style safety available somewhere for the 1903 springfield's? I looked in brownell's and cannot find one.

Here is the situation. I have a 1903 that has the two position Mark II style aftermarket that goes where the original safety was to allow for scope mounting. (does that make sense, you guys know which one I am talking about? I could post a pic).

Anyways, it is very hard to put on safe, you basically have to put your thumb on the scope and use your forefinger on the safety lever so you can get leverage. That is not good. I took it into the gunshop and had them work on it, the smith said he was afraid to take any more metal away to make it smoother because it might not function properly.

I thought that maybe I could have it replaced (or try myself if not incredibly difficult) with a Win70 style safety. What do all of you think about it?

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the PME and Chapman 2 position sideswing conversions (Brownell's et al) can be used on a Springfield. They use the original shroud. I have one on a Mauser and rather like it, but not as much as my PME 3 position.

Jim Kobe supplied the machined military 98 shroud for mine -- not sure if the Springfield would require a different milling fixture, but would imagine so.

Good luck,
Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
<manhasset>
posted
Ed LaPour, Bremerton, Wa. has the three position safeties that PME use to make for the '03.
Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks Todd,

manhasset do you have the contact info for him?

thanks guys, what fast responses!

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I still make the two position conversion kits for the military sleeve.

Ed LaPour has the M70 three position Newly machined sleeves. You can contact him at.

Ed LaPour
908 Hayward Ave
Bremerton WA 98310
360-470-4966

Ed does not have a computer so you will have to call him.

Jim Wisner

Posts: 1473 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote