New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tikka won't feed properly
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just bought a Tikka Whitetail Hunter in 22/250. Shoots fine but it won't feed the second round from the clip properly. First and third rounds feed fine, just the second won't feed. The nose of the second cartridge points slightly up and the rim is stuck down in the magazine too low for the bolt to pick it up. Any one else with this problem?

Posts: 71 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 243 could be a tad temperamental. It didn't really like RN bullets (unlikely in a 22-250). Any problems can normaly be cured by a pause at the stage when the round is about to pop out of the magazine. This allows it to rise and be caught by the bolt when it resumes forward motion.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That seems to be the same thing that happens with my 22/250. If I stroke the bolt slowly to try not to toss the brass too far if shooting at the range, then the second round won't feed properly. If the bolt is run through in a more vigorous fashion, there is no problem feeding. Seems strange. My Browning 280 Rem does not have any problem feeding from a magazine no matter what speed I run the bolt at. Must be the cheap plastic. Now if someone has CNC machined bottom metal for a Tikka....

Posts: 71 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doesn't matter how slow you operate the bolt it will toss the brass the same distance as the ejector is spring loaded!

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You are absolutely right that it will throw the brass no matter how slow the bolt run. I just like to have a fighting chance at grabbing the brass before it is tossed on the bench next to me at the range. I played a little with the spring follower in the magazine. There is a pin that the spring wraps around. I simply pulled apart the spring slightly to let the spring move better on the follower. This seems to have helped quite a bit. I am impressed with the accuracy of my Tikka though. The load was a Sierra 50gr spire point with 35.5 grains Varget, a Federal 210 primer and Remington case. Centre to centre 0.14" for 3 shots.