New
Find
Notify
Tools

Model 70 action compromised?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Have a customer with a Model 70 Classic Sporter in 7mmSTW. He has had someone lengthen his magazine to 3.850". Also feed ramp shortened and cutout in right side of front receiver ring.

He wants me to rechamber for one of the RUM cartridges. I don't think is is safe for anything. Am I being too cautious?

Posts: 472 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
if you think it's risky, dont...

will it FEED live 3.85 rounds?

jeffe

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
post some pictures of the carnage so we can see exactly what has been done and where.

Posts: 2404 | Location: A Blue State | Registered: 28 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
if you think it's risky, dont...

will it FEED live 3.85 rounds?

jeffe

No it feeds fine.

This action was opened up very expertly. My question to you all is am I being too cautious regarding lenghtening an action at the fron rather than the rear.

There is no evidence of problems. This fellow shoots 160 grain Partitions with 95 grains of 5010 or H50bmg.

Posts: 472 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
wallyw--

There won't be any indications unless it's REALLY bad. The danger is mostly in the lack of accuracy (vertical stringing) and the reduction of the safety margin of the action.

If you work on it after identifying a non-original alteration it's YOUR hiney in the crack if the action fails.

I'd tell the customer I'd prefer to work on a more suitable action for the caliber than what he has.....and if he insist on it, I'd just say "no".