Find
Notify
Tools

fixed sight heighth
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gents,
I have an 8X57 Husqvarna with fixed front and tri-leaf rear sights. Problem is, it's regulated for 150s and I'd like to use 196s. How does one calculate replacement sight height? The rifle is unmolested and without extra holes, so a scope is out of the question.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckshot:
Gents,
I have an 8X57 Husqvarna with fixed front and tri-leaf rear sights. Problem is, it's regulated for 150s and I'd like to use 196s. How does one calculate replacement sight height? The rifle is unmolested and without extra holes, so a scope is out of the question.

Shoot it with the 196's first & see where your at. Smiler Might get away with a little file work on the front sight.

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Yes, shoot it first and see if you can load to the sights without getting out of the velocity window you want. If not, then NECG sells blank inserts FOR $38.00. I know they have one standing with one folding. Maybe they can special order a two folding leaf model. At any rate, a new blade has to be filed to regulation so don't worry about a bunch of math (changing the front blade is counter-productive if you have no adjustment in the rear to fine-tune it).

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
You can replace the front ramp with a Masterpiece that has adjustments in the blade height and solve all your problems. I have them on a couple of Brno/CZ's that have had the barrel shortened requiring new front sight heights.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buckshot:

I believe there is a chart in the Brownells catalog that shows the relationship between the front and rear sights with corresponding front sight heights.

IIRC you need to know the distance between sights and the current front sight height. The chart will then show what different increases or decreases in sight height do to POI.

I don't think I am explaining it well but I hope you get my meaning.

Good Luck.

RCG

Posts: 1132 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RCG:
Buckshot:

I believe there is a chart in the Brownells catalog that shows the relationship between the front and rear sights with corresponding front sight heights.

IIRC you need to know the distance between sights and the current front sight height. The chart will then show what different increases or decreases in sight height do to POI.

I don't think I am explaining it well but I hope you get my meaning.

Good Luck.

RCG

This page from their website may help.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Charles:

Thanks.

RCG

Posts: 1132 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gents,
Thanx for the great advice.
buckshot