New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is a palm swell?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What would look obvious on a stock with a large vs. small palm swell?

Thanks for any help.

David

Posts: 301 | Location: Corvallis, Oregon | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
Sounds like an adolescent issue Big Grin

Posts: 1678 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DKim:
What would look obvious on a stock with a large vs. small palm swell?

Thanks for any help.

David

A lot of times palms swells are not obvious until you actually grip the rifle. When you do, you will definately notice a grip with palm swell. It depends on the size of the swell and the size of your hand. Done right, they will fit the palm of the shooter's hand and fill it, adding better grip and control of the rifle. Kinda hard to explain, they just feel good to me. I'm sure soembody like Chic Worthing or Bill Soverns can explain it better than I can.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 12 gauge skeet gun with a set of subgauge tubes and I am in the process of restocking it to my specs. To get the palm swell to fit exactly, I will put on a latex glove, and use a liberal amount of vaseline (starting to sound like the first response, lol). Then I will mix up some acraglass and apply the the right grip and then press my hand onto it to mold the center of my palm. Once it dries, I will sand off the ridges and any excess. They do provide a good grip on a shotgun. I think they are overkill on a rifle. They are a pain the checker.

They are more obvious when you look down on the side of the grip. You can see the thicker area.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting Chic.!!! I have never heard of a palm swell on a shotgun but then I am not heavy into shotgun shooting.
I do have a couple of Remington's with the palm swell, a 700P and a 700PSS and have really come to like the fit and feel. I'm sure doing it the way you describe would be even better.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jimmy, you see them most often on skeet, trap or sporting clays guns.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The palm swell is also known as "Wundhammer Swell" the origenator and inventor of the swell. Louis Wundhammer was a custom stock maker.

Fred M.
zermel@shaw.ca

Posts: 465 | Location: Canada | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Beretta 682 has a palm swell. Very nice feel.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Most palm swells are a PITA for me as it makes shooting right-handed stocks, left-handed very uncomfortable. I put a left-handed stock on my 686 and it's the first one I've liked.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote