New
Find
Notify
Tools

Express Sight / Quarter Rib Makers
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I would appreciate any information you have regarding makers of Express Sights and Quarter Rib bases. NECG is all I can come up with. Any other options? I know Brownells also offers Dakota base parts? Any other ideas. Thanks,

Hugh

Posts: 435 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hugh:

Check out www.jeffsoutfitters.com They are showing a quarter rib sight package. Look for "sights" on the left hand side then click on rear sights.

RCG

Posts: 1132 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Quarter ribs done properly cost hundreds of dollars. The ones that are for sale require many hours of fitting and the price is not anywhere near the cost of the finished product. Most quarter ribs are done from a blank piece of steel. Check the scholarship rifle link that's pinned to the top of the gunsmithing forum. There's a few pictures showing what's involved.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of aleaddict
posted Hide Post
Since we're on the subject of quarter ribs, what setup do you use to make those radius cuts in front of and, in some cases, behind the rear sight? Many thanks.

-- ale

Posts: 140 | Location: Southern Kalistan | Registered: 25 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jack Haugh ..... Milan, Indiana, did one on a .404 Jeffries he built for me. But, like gunmaker said, it's not cheap. But when you see the finished rib, it's worth it.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1587 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim Kobe told me of a guy that could make a 1/4 rib but I can't remember his name. Shoot Kobe an e-mail.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
I have a Dakota made Quarter rib and an NECG express sight I would sell.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can get quarter ribs from MSC, Enco, Penn Tool, J&L, Speedy Metals, and a host of other tool supply houses. ebay is also full of them. Here is a nice quarter rib I got from MSC:

THis quarter rib can also be square bridges, sling swivels, floorplate release levers, front and rear sights, jigs for shop projects, etc., etc. rotflmo If you can't make a quarter rib out of this, then you can't make a quarter rib.

But seriously though, if you do a search you will find htis has been brought up many times. There is no way generic bolt on quarter ribs can be made and sold over the counter. They need to all be custom made. Definitely NOT something a Brownell's Cowboy can buy and epoxy on his barrel.

As for who can make one, many folks on this board can. Or you can ask any metalsmith here:

ACGG

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is the typical width of a quarter Rib?

I have some 5/8" square stock that I was planning on using...is this an appropriate size for a #3 contour?

Posts: 101 | Location: South of Buffalo, NY | Registered: 13 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of aleaddict
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here is a nice quarter rib I got from MSC

Bravo, Marc clap

Posts: 140 | Location: Southern Kalistan | Registered: 25 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Marc, those are great! I bought a whole bunch of them on sale at ENCO and am hoarding them until the price goes up; I'll make a killing on them!

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aleaddict:
Since we're on the subject of quarter ribs, what setup do you use to make those radius cuts in front of and, in some cases, behind the rear sight? Many thanks.

-- ale

In the front I used to file them in. Now I cheat and use my prototrak and just swing an arc and rotate the barrel a few degrees between passes. I suppose you could set up a fly cutter and rotate the barrel/rib and achieve the same result. Or, radius attachment on the lathe.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote