New
Find
Notify
Tools

MIG welding Mauser bolt
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've read all the past posts on this subject but still have some questions. I have a VZ24 coming and would like to do most of the metal work on this project myself. A few questions:
1) Can I MIG weld a new Talley handle on the bolt if I use a heat sink and paste. I have a MIG welder and .023 wire, shielded with Tri-gas. I can go very slowly to prevent heat build up (patience!). I read Jack's article about re-heat treating the camming surfaces but was wondering if I take enough care, this step could be eliminated.
2) If cutting the bolt 2/3 of the way through, bending (I also have an Oxy/Acet torch), and filling the "V" with weld using the above setup would significantly reduce heat transfer to the bolt body.
Also-- This doesn't have to do with the bolt but how do I check for bolt lug setback (I feel like I should know but I don't)?
Finally--I'm thinking of picking up a short chambered/threaded barrel, can someone recommend a finish reamer setup to me?
Thanks for all the help!

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I weld bolt handles using a wire feed with shielding gas and they come out well. My advice is, don't fool around. Use enough heat and weld it quickly. You want a good, homogenous weld. The bolt won't get that hot. When I'm done welding the handle I can pick the bolt up by the lugs so it's obvious no harm is being done. Count on reheat treating the cocking cam. It's not a big deal and you don't want to compromise the welding just to avoid such a simple step.
I used to weld with oxy-acetylene and the bolt got a bit hotter with that! But it was still no problem. The electric welder does a much nicer and easier job however. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3784 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I too use a wire welder w/75-25 Argon/Oyg gas with no problem. I haven't done that many, maybe a dozen over the years, and had to redo one, I think the second. And I move as fast as possible, and help control heat with a heat sink and a wet pack.

Posts: 200 | Location: Tin Top .Texas | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote